Remington 870 Tactical "spacer" to install longer barrel question.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
I purchased a used Remmy 870 12 gauge Tactical shotgun recently and love it. For the record, I'm pretty sure that it's not the Express model. I want to buy a longer barrel for it for upland bird and small game hunting. I was told that I needed an 870 Tactical Spacer for it which Remington sells for about $20 so I bought one thinking that instructions would come with it. Well, they didn't.

Before I go out and plunk down several hundred dollars on a barrel for this 870, is there anyone here that is familiar with how this spacer works and how it's installed? I have found several places on line talking about it but nothing on how it's installed with a different barrel. It's necessary to have this spacer due to the different locations of the guide rings on the different barrels. It may become obvious once I have both the new barrel and the spacer in hand but I am not sure.

Last edited:
I think you, like me, are in possession of the Express model (see below).

1584133516606.png

It probably installs like this homemade one:
1584133743767.png

I saw that picture of the PVC adaptor. I can't see how it's attached. Maybe I'll take another look at mine this weekend and see. It's probably very obvious once I take a closer look at it. My 870 holds 6 rounds but nowhere does it say on it "express" like I've seen on other 870s. It just says Remington 870 Tactical on the receiver, nothing else.

If I can find someone local that has a remmy barrel made for the 870, I'll see if they can show me. There's an LGS near me, small place but he may know. Maybe I'll take it by there tomorrow and see if he has a barrel I can try.

Last edited:
It is. You got the shotgun from me, remember? ;)

The spacer sliders over the magazine tube after you put the new barrel on. It pushes on the barrel guide ring of the new barrel and extends to the position of where your extended tube guide ring should be. The magazine cap then screws into the tube as normal and the spacer now is used to lock the barrel in place.

It is. You got the shotgun from me, remember? ;)

The spacer sliders over the magazine tube after you put the new barrel on. It pushes on the barrel guide ring of the new barrel and extends to the position of where your extended tube guide ring should be. The magazine cap then screws into the tube as normal and the spacer now is used to lock the barrel in place.
I do remember! This is exactly what I was looking for when I made contact with you...My younger brother liked it so much he went out and bought one himself although I think his has the ghost ring sights on it. I started looking at longer barrels a month or two ago and that's when I found out that I needed this adapter. I bought one from Brownell's for like, $20. Now I have to start shopping for a barrel.

I saw that picture of the PVC adaptor. I can't see how it's attached.

It's not exactly "attached". More like held in place. Think of it like just an extension of the guide ring. The guide ring itself is only "attached" the the receiver by way of the magazine end cap pushing on it, right? So with a spacer, the magazine cap is now pushing on that, which is pushing on the guide ring, which keeps the barrel in place.

I do remember! This is exactly what I was looking for when I made contact with you...My younger brother liked it so much he went out and bought one himself although I think his has the ghost ring sights on it. I started looking at longer barrels a month or two ago and that's when I found out that I needed this adapter. I bought one from Brownell's for like, $20. Now I have to start shopping for a barrel.

Glad you like it!

If you buy a remington barrel at new retail you might as well buy a new express field complete shotgun or shop around for a used one.
Buddy of mine scored a nice 870 wing master perfect for hunting, it had some light external rust on the receiver . 28” field barrel

If you buy a remington barrel at new retail you might as well buy a new express field complete shotgun or shop around for a used one.
Buddy of mine scored a nice 870 wing master perfect for hunting, it had some light external rust on the receiver . 28” field barrel

There's a bunch of companies that make barrels for this....I've seen really nice used ones for around a $100. I'll keep my eyes open for a used complete one too.

Got my 870 Tactical at Elite Arms in Spanish Fort, Alabama back in 2011. This one has an 18" barrel and 4 round tube with a 2 round extension for a total of 6 rounds. To convert it to upland hunting use, you would remove the extension tube and the extra long spring then install a standard mag spring, the longer vent rib barrel and a mag cap. I have no reason to do so, since I have a 4 round standard 870 as well with both rifle-sight slug barrel and vent rib barrel with interchangeable chokes.

Back
Top Bottom