rem 870 or benelli nova?

So next weekend i will be buying a shotgun and i want to go trap shooting. I looked up info but not sure which one i would like more. So can any one that has or owns one or the other give me some pros and cons so that way i know what road to go down. I have heard more that the 870 is more sought after

The 870 is an excellent choice and won't hurt your wallet as much. The Nova is a great shotgun too but I've read some posts about having a longer stroking time. Benelli makes one of the best shotguns today and I picked up a nice Super Black Eagle II for $1200 early this year, but they seem to be too elitist sometimes. Nova is sort of space-ageish, while the 870 is more like the meat and potatoes most shooters are looking for. You'll pay more for the Benelli and I think the 870 will do just fine.

Thanks colddayinhell. I was leaning more to the 870 since i heard all good things about it as for the benelli i heard more about the supernova but nothing about the nova.

I bought a nova for BIL over the summer and I thought the fit and finish on the nova was much better than the 870s I looked at. He loves it.

I own both and they both have benefits. The nova is in my opinion a better bird gun than my 870 but as a slug gun my 870 is hands down better to lug thru the woods. So if your shooting skeet or trap I would go with the nova.

Thank you for looking
Scott

I prefer the 870

The standard Nova is a one piece design, the stock and the receiver are one molded piece. You can not replace a stock on a Nova, thats what kept me away from it.

I had a Nova for 4 years and used it for Turkey and Duck. It was a great gun and I loved it. I traded it in for a Mossberg 935. I miss the Nova. I think it is one of the best pump guns out there. IF you will only use this gun for skeet and trap I do not think it will make a difference. The advantages of the Nova are more about hunting and the advantages of the 870 are more about accessorising.

The key advantage of the Nova is that it can shoot 3 1/2 shells. That gives you extra yards and extra power for hunting, I found it especially good for ducks as I could knock them down much further out with the 3 1/2 inch shell. The Nova is well made, solid and reliable. But as already stated, you cannot change the stock and find accessories for it is not easy nor is there a wide variety. You can change barrels but the Nova barrels are very very expensive. The finish and plastic stock is great for the field. It resists rust and is easy to dry off as it is mostly plastic.

The 870 is solid and reliable as well. There will be no problems with that gun either. You can get all kinds of stocks and other accessories for it such as different affordable barrels, different stocks, mag tube extensions, etc. etc.

Both would be good guns. You just need to try and decide what would be a better fit for you. Have you been able to try both out? That would help a lot as well. You may just like the feel of one over the other.

I have not been able to shoot them but i did handle them. I have a buddy that has a 870 but his is HD set up... I don't think i be hunting anytime soon since i have not taken the class but that is on the list

Seriously....try before you buy! It's like buying shoes, based on a recommendation!

I've never fired a Benelli extensively ( a few shots, yes) and my kid's 870, I've used some. Neither fit me to my preference, but both worked. However, I've been doing the shottie thing enough that I can compensate a bit for a poor, but not terrible, fit.

But if you're going to be shooting a lot (i.e. Trap) fit is vital. Both for comfort, and effectiveness.

As for "cycle speed"....last year my 13-yo went 88/100 at Trap Doubles at the Mass State Shoot. He dropped a few of the first birds, too.....

[laugh]

If you're able to try them both, first, you'll be surer in your choice, and therefore more confident that you made the right one. That's wicked important on the Trap line! The fewer rats in your brain, the better.

I wish i was able to try before i buy, but i don't have that option. I can only handle them in the shop since there isn't any shops around here that i know of that lets you try before you buy :/

Back
Top Bottom