Reloading with steel (not carbide) dies question

JackO

Instructor
I have some experience loading different pistol calibers on a progressive press . I use Dillon 550B. I never had to really lube the cases as all my dies are carbide. Now I need to start loading 50AE for my Desert Eagle. So I got a set of standard Lee steel dies (believe it or not, carbide dies for 50AE run close to $450 and are a special order item):
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=278508&t=11082005

Is it necessary to wipe out the lube after the sizing / depriming die? If yes, in case of a progressive press it might be a little inconvenient?

Also, what lube would you recommend for lubing these big cases? Is Dillon spray case lube OK? Is RCBS case lube-2 better? How heavily do you lube the cases?

Is it important to remove the lube from the cases in the reloading process or from the finished cartridges after reloading?

Last edited:
I haven't loaded any pistol cartridges with non carbide dies, but for every rifle round I do, I always tumble in dry corn cob media before priming, charging and seating a bullet. Now, I only do rifle on a single stage press, but if I were going to do rifle on a progressive, I would probably consider resizing as a single operation, then tumble, then run the cases through the press without a resizing die in station 1.

That being said, modern lube should be 100% safe to leave on the case thought the reloading process, without harming primers or powder. You could always tumble your finished rounds in corn cob after to get all the lube off the outside.

I would also bet that one of the spray lubes like the Dillon lube would be the easiest to use if you were going to lube the cases and run them progressively.

Just lube them with a spritz of Dillon lube in a paper bag and shake them around and go right through the progressive loading process. Try it even with the carbide dies, it will only make it smoother. I don't think it is that important to remove the lube from the loaded rounds if they work in your gun. Lubed rounds might allow dirt to stick to them and clean rounds are nicer to handle. I case gauge my match ammo so I like it clean. I clean it with brake cleaner between a folded towel.

Last edited:
I have some experience loading different pistol calibers on a progressive press . I use Dillon 550B. I never had to really lube the cases as all my dies are carbide. Now I need to start loading 50AE for my Desert Eagle. So I got a set of standard Lee steel dies (believe it or not, carbide dies for 50AE run close to $450 and are a special order item):
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=278508&t=11082005

Is it necessary to wipe out the lube after the sizing / depriming die? If yes, in case of a progressive press it might be a little inconvenient?

Also, what lube would you recommend for lubing these big cases? Is Dillon spray case lube OK? Is RCBS case lube-2 better? How heavily do you lube the cases?

Is it important to remove the lube from the cases in the reloading process or from the finished cartridges after reloading?

Out of curiosity,did you check with RCBS,Redding,Hornandy or other die manufacturers to see if they make a carbide die set. Lee ain't the end all and be all for reloading dies

Out of curiosity,did you check with RCBS,Redding,Hornandy or other die manufacturers to see if they make a carbide die set. Lee ain't the end all and be all for reloading dies
The link I provided above is for special order RCBS dies. Today it's the only game in town. Believe it or not, nobody else makes carbides in 50AE. There is a reason for this. To fit a carbide ring in a standard size die it has to be very, very thin. I did a lot of research, several manufacturers tried producing carbides, non were profitable and dropped production.

Last edited:
Non-carbide die.

So that explains why my 500 Mag dies don't have a carbide sizer ring. The case lube makes a HUGE difference. I apply Dillon lube lightly prior to sizing and don't clean after loading.
If you tumble the loaded rounds, only do it for a short time. Excessive tumbling can break down certain powders changing their burn rates.

Lee custom carbide

Lee will make a set of carbide dies. $320 to set up, then $40 or so for the dies. If several people get together the set up fee can be spread around, then it is just the cost of the die. Is anybody interested?

How old is your info.
This was discussed some time ago on ARF and on Desert Eagle boards. People called Lee and Lee refused to take an order.

??? Been reading forums for info on reloading. Must have been an old thread, but the link to Lee still worked. I have noticed some of the forums I have been reading are several years old. Still good info for a newbie like me.

Back
Top Bottom