Reloading data for 240 Rainier JFP in .44 Mag?

Fooped

Resident HK Guru
Hey everyone,

I've searched high and low for load data for Rainier 240 grain JFP in .44 magnum with no luck. I've seen a lot of recipes that are similar, and the Rainier website says to follow lead load data, but even that seems to vary significantly. The gun I'm reloading for is a Desert Eagle, so hotter would be better (obviously within safe limits) and any info you all could share would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

9.0 grains of Titegroup will get you just north of 1200 fps which is as hot as you want to load a plated bullet. This load works well for me.

9.0 grains of Titegroup will get you just north of 1200 fps which is as hot as you want to load a plated bullet. This load works well for me.

Good timing as I purchased 500 of these from Qmmo to cook up some mid range loads for my 629. I'm new to this bullet and was wondering your comment on keeping the velocity to 1200 FPS. My load book "The Complete Reloading Manual for the .44 Magnum" has Lyman lead loads that go up to 1400 FPS. I know the bullet is copper plated, not jacketed so I wasn't going to push it that fast but I thought I could get up in the mid 1300's with out leading or safety concerns. Any comments here would be welcome as I was going to load some this week and chrono them next.

I am planning to use H110 powder as that is what I use for my 275 gn jacketed rounds for my Ruger rifle. I was planning on something around 21 to 22 gns of H110 with a target velocity on the high end of 1350

Any comments and advice would be appreciated

Here's a quote from Rainier's website:

Rainier FAQs said:
Q3. Do your bullets have ANY velocity restrictions?

A. In general, our bullets typically perform their best when shot at velocities no greater than 1,200 to 1,250 Feet per second (FPS).

I've loaded hard cast lead bullets faster than 1300 and gas checked lead bullets faster than that.

The Rainier bullets are soft lead, and it is possible to shoot them fast enough to strip off pieces of the plating.

I will follow this advice and keep the velocity down to 1200 FPS. I was looking for a more comfortable fun .44 mag round anyway. Thank you for your advice.

I will follow this advice and keep the velocity down to 1200 FPS. I was looking for a more comfortable fun .44 mag round anyway. Thank you for your advice.

Try this with 231. I just starting shooting it out of my Ruger SBHH and love it. Thunderbolt
recommended this to me here: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37687

Bullet - 240gr LSWC
Powder - Win231
Min - 6.0gr
Max - 11.0gr
OAL - 1.610"
My* Load - Used 6.5gr

*really Thunderbolt's but I am officially claiming it as mine! [smile]

Now this won't really get your juices flowing but this is something you can shoot all
day and go home and pick up a gin & tonic without seeing an orthopedist and it is
a fun target round.

Try this with 231. I just starting shooting it out of my Ruger SBHH and love it. Thunderbolt
recommended this to me here: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37687

Bullet - 240gr LSWC
Powder - Win231
Min - 6.0gr
Max - 11.0gr
OAL - 1.610"
My* Load - Used 6.5gr

*really Thunderbolt's but I am officially claiming it as mine! [smile]

Now this won't really get your juices flowing but this is something you can shoot all
day and go home and pick up a gin & tonic without seeing an orthopedist and it is
a fun target round.

Thank you kind Sir. I just loaded up 150 of these rounds and they are fun to shoot and accurate as well. It leaves a nice clean hole and I can shoot the round out of my 6" 629 all day long

Range results

Here is a photo of the range results from today at 50 feet along with a photo of my 629 hunter, and yes the target is hanging below my prized possession, my autographed hockey stick by Bobby Orr, circa 1970.

Here again is the load data:

Bullet - 240gr Ranier Copper Plated SWC
Powder - Win231
powder wt - 6.5gr
OAL - 1.610"

Last edited:
had the exact same problem with their 165 gr in 40 cal... I wrote a note to [email protected] and asked them. I got a nice response from phyliss asking what type of powder I uesd.. I responded and they sent min to max load data for it...

Back
Top Bottom