Reloading 44 MAG questions

JackO

Instructor
I'm looking to start reloading 44MAG for two different firearms: S&W Mod.629 and Desert Eagle. I suspect, there might be different requirements for these reloads, as one firearm is a revolver, and the second is a semi-auto. A little bit of research on line shows, roll crimping is needed for a heavy recoiling revolver loads. Is taper crimping needed for a semi-auto? Does it mean that I would need different crimping dies for the two setups?

I'm looking for an advice to choose proper dies. From my experience reloading 50AE for DE, RCBS dies worked much better than Lee (significantly less force required), although, both of these die sets were non carbide, so the cases had to be heavily lubed.

On the other hand, I have very good results reloading 45ACP using Dillon dies on my Dillon 550B. But I added a fourth die to the three Dillon dies. I use Dillon die for bullet sitting, and Lee factory crimp die for crimping and final case resizing.

Is Lee factory crimp die beneficial for 44 MAG revolver reloading? What about using this die for DE 44 MAG reloading? Would it be a good choice to buy Lee 4-die set, or is it better to buy, say RCBS 3-die set, and add Lee factory crimp die to it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm looking to start reloading 44MAG for two different firearms: S&W Mod.629 and Desert Eagle. I suspect, there might be different requirements for these reloads, as one firearm is a revolver, and the second is a semi-auto. A little bit of research on line shows, roll crimping is needed for a heavy recoiling revolver loads. Is taper crimping needed for a semi-auto? Does it mean that I would need different crimping dies for the two setups?

I'm looking for an advice to choose proper dies. From my experience reloading 50AE for DE, RCBS dies worked much better than Lee (significantly less force required), although, both of these die sets were non carbide, so the cases had to be heavily lubed.

On the other hand, I have very good results reloading 45ACP using Dillon dies on my Dillon 550B. But I added a fourth die to the three Dillon dies. I use Dillon die for bullet sitting, and Lee factory crimp die for crimping and final case resizing.

Is Lee factory crimp die beneficial for 44 MAG revolver reloading? What about using this die for DE 44 MAG reloading? Would it be a good choice to buy Lee 4-die set, or is it better to buy, say RCBS 3-die set, and add Lee factory crimp die to it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I load lots of .44 magnum and do it with a Dillon four die set and it works fine. I'm loading
240gr SWC (Win231) and 240gr JHP (AA #9).

The DE is picky. Stick to 240 grain jacketed or semi jacketed, and keep it on the high side of the recipe for the charge weight. Too light a charge and the gun won't cycle. Lead bullets will screw up the gas system.

When I started reloading I was using Lee dies for everything, but now I'm mostly using RCBS. I just felt like I was eternally screwing with the Lee seat dies. Once I set my RCBS dies, I never need to touch them again. The Lee crimp dies seem to work well though.

Last edited:
I load lots of .44 magnum and do it with a Dillon four die set and it works fine. I'm loading
240gr SWC (Win231) and 240gr JHP (AA #9).

I looked up on Dillon site, they normally sell a 3-die carbide pistol die sets. Is it some special 4-die set you are using, or did you add a 4th die to a 3-die set?

Also, do you know if the crimping die you are using is taper or roll crimp?. Here is what Dillon says on their site:
"Taper crimp for autos; accu-crimp for revolvers".

Last edited:
I looked up on Dillon site, they normally sell a 3-die carbide pistol die sets. Is it some special 4-die set you are using, or did you add a 4th die to a 3-die set?

Also, do you know if the crimping die you are using is taper or roll crimp?. Here is what Dillon says on their site:
"Taper crimp for autos; accu-crimp for revolvers".

Sorry for the confusion, it's the three die carbide set and the powder die makes four to fill
out the toolhead. I have no idea on the crimp die but I do a roll crimp with the .44 mag.
I do a taper crimp on the .45acp which btw I use in both revolvers and autos.

Roll crimp the .44 Magnum if the bullet has a cannelure - regardless of whether it will be used in a revolver or auto.

The .44 magnum headspaces on the rim, not on the case mouth. A roll crimp should be fine. I've used the Lee factory crimp die in .22 hornet and .30/06 and have not seen an improvement in accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom