reload data for RL-15 for 55grain fmj .223 remington

mac1911

NES Member
niether my spears or hornady manual give load data for 55g with RL15
Alliant online data is nil also
any sources?

RL-15 is a good powder and will work for 55 grain bullets. Start at 24.5 grains and work up. Where RL-15 shines is with heavy bullets. 69, 77s etc.

I got stuck with the powder, I would just like to use it up. I dont have any heavy 224 bullets and dont plan on any.
Thanks for the start on info

stuck with how much? RE15 is a tad slow for 55's, but it oughta function well enough. 25.5 sounds like a good starting spot, although i dont see how you'd fit 28gr in the case...at least not without a drop tube.

The folks who come to my reloading class get a sense for how many bottles of powder you end up with when you do this long enough........

That one pound jug of powder won't be the last one you put on the shelf.....

But, that's normal!

duke, i ordered this for someone and they bailed come collection time. Im sure your right though I have some shotgun powder that is for some stout hunting loads....I doubt I will use that any time either.

What's the shotgun powder you have???

Some of it is fine for handgun use.

For example: I use Red Dot (originally developed as a shotgun powder) all the time in .38 Specials. I'm currently using Blue Dot (also originally a shotgun powder) for my 357 Sig reloading.

duke, i ordered this for someone and they bailed come collection time. Im sure your right though I have some shotgun powder that is for some stout hunting loads....I doubt I will use that any time either.

Duke its Herco powder, I found one listing from alliant web site for 230g LRN 45auto.... may try it if and when I get some 230gn LRN bullets...

Duke, maybe when I order my bullet molds for the pistols I will use it up. I aquired quit a bit of unopen powders in my search for reloading equipment and componants

Get in on the group buy deals for the wonderful molds from Mihec and NOE over at castboolits.gunloads.com

There might even be a 230 grain mold order being put together right now.

Once you have used one of these wonderful molds, it's tough to ever go back to the likes of a Lee mold.

Here's the link for the group buy on the 230 grain RN mold:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=103443

A year ago I would have been part of the "use a different powder" chorus, but lately I've read about lots of people using it behind a 55gr bullet (for a target load at 100 or 200 yards) and liking it a lot.

(PM sent if you're near me and just want to sell it, too.)

Back
Top Bottom