Refinished the AK

jron

NES Member
Refinished the wood furniture on my Wasr. Wood wasn't pretty and was rough. Much better looking now!

Absolutely in LOVE with the AK!! Glad I got rid of that stupid plastic AR [smile]

Before:

After:

Very nice! What stain/finish did you use? I recently sanded mine down with plans to refinish a deep mahogany red, but liked the blonde wood too much. i just clear coated it with mini wax semi gloss polyurethane. Around 5 coats.
y8u5ujym.jpg

I used "cherry" stain from minwax I believe. I had a bunch in the basement and sampled them all on scrap wood first to make my pick. I wanted to do reddish, but I am much happier with this, its a very nice medium color. I just used a semi gloss polyurethane. 3 coats of stain and 2 coats of poly.

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice! What stain/finish did you use? I recently sanded mine down with plans to refinish a deep mahogany red, but liked the blonde wood too much. i just clear coated it with mini wax semi gloss polyurethane. Around 5 coats.
y8u5ujym.jpg

I really liked yours, saw your thread before I did mine, but was originally thinking redish. But I like the medium I chose.

looks good.
was furniture oiled prior to you refinishing it?

i have dark brown set of wood hand-guards that i would like to make lighter. they don't look varnished more like a garand stock from CMP - dark, dull, brown.
i want to give em light redish look that soviet AKMs and early AK74s had. but unsure how to go about refinishing it.
handguards are brand new/unissued and really nice looking micro-laminate. really don't wanna mess it up.

Last edited:
looks good.
was furniture oiled prior to you refinishing it?

i have dark brown set of wood hand-guards that i would like to make lighter. they don't look varnished more like a garand stock from CMP - dark, dull, brown.
i want to give em light redish look that soviet AKMs and early AK74s had. but unsure how to go about refinishing it.
handguards are brand new/unissued and really nice looking micro-laminate. really don't wanna mess it up.

No oil. I just cleaned the wood with murphys oil soap and lightly sanded down the wood. then stained it and poly coated it. Mine is just straight wood no laminate so I wouldn't know the best way to tackle that.

Back
Top Bottom