Redesign and retrofit of Hornady LnL AP

Like several of us here, I reload on a Hornady LnL progressive press and, like several of us here, I had to choose between (1) using only Hornady dies in Station 5 to avoid hitting the ejector wire, or (2) modifying, as in grinding the bottom off, my dies to make them compatible with the wire. Because the wire sometimes didn't eject very well anyway, I elected to go with option (3), which is to 86 the damn wire and simply remove the loaded rounds manually. Not very satisfying and clearly a bad design.

Apparently in response to similar dissatisfaction from other users, Hornday has redesigned the ejection system on the LnL, which now uses a more positive ejection system working under the shellplate. So, the first piece of advice is, if you're looking at buying an LnL be sure to get the new design.

For the rest of us, I checked with Hornady regarding upgrades and was told that the older presses can be modified to the new design by replacing the subplate and (as the old ones are not compatible) replacing the shellholders. This is a factory modification that Hornady will do for $100, which price includes exchanging two shellholders. You can also exchange additional shellholders at the same time for $10 each. It looks like anyone with a sizable investment in shellholders and access to a lathe (along with the knowledge to use it) might be able to modify the old ones, but only one of those criteria (the first, unfortunately) applies to me.

I'll likely send my press back to get modified, though I'm gonna need to think about it for a while.

Blue Kool-Aid drinkers may now chime in and tell us what boneheads we were to buy the red press in the first place, a characterization I find myself in no position to argue with.

I like mine too. I suspect that they are simple mods and will try it myself after seeing one in operation.

Blue Kool-Aid drinkers may now chime in and tell us what boneheads we were to buy the red press in the first place, a characterization I find myself in no position to argue with.

Nawwww, they all have their pros and cons. If you have time I will tell you about trying to
load .32 H&R on a 550B (takes about one hour to just tell the story.) [smile]

Don't forget that for us old timers, the 550 had a significant number of issues, not the least
of it was rather easy to break a powder setup if adjusted incorrectly (nothing to prevent it
if you weren't paying attention). When I had to update my 550 to a 550B the powder setups
was incompatible and the powder bar return needed to be added. Cost eventually came to
around $150-$200 if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Considering the whole press only cost $379, $100 seems really high for this modification.
Don't forget you got 1k free bullets with initial purchase. It is an excellent machine if you ask me and I will be gettting the Classic this Spring for rifle.

Don't forget you got 1k free bullets with initial purchase. It is an excellent machine if you ask me and I will be gettting the Classic this Spring for rifle.

The Classic is a kick-ass little single stage. I use mine for decapping and sizing .223 brass, and it's also great for working up loads because it'll decap/resize and prime in one operation.

After a little research, I found that, the new design of the machines mandated that they change the design of the shell plates. The shell plates we have now will not work on the new style press. So if you sent the press in to be updated, you would have to buy all new shell plates.

Adding the cost of all new shell plates, to the cost of having the machine brought up to date and you would be better off just keeping it like it is.

After a little research, I found that, the new design of the machines mandated that they change the design of the shell plates. The shell plates we have now will not work on the new style press. So if you sent the press in to be updated, you would have to buy all new shell plates.

Adding the cost of all new shell plates, to the cost of having the machine brought up to date and you would be better off just keeping it like it is.

Yes, the new shellplates have a groove (for lack of a better word) running around the underside, and old shellplates will not work with the new design. As I mentioned in my original post, the $100 upgrade by Hornady includes exchange of two of the old shellplates for new ones, and additional shellplates may be exchanged, presumably at the same time, at a cost of $10 each. Seems like a reasonable deal, I guess (not the $100, which I think is a ripoff, but the individual shellplates). Shellplates for the LnL are currently in the range of $25 - $28 through the online sources, and I have been told they are currently shipping the new design (new design shellplates will work on old design presses, AFAIK).

A couple more things I have learned regarding the upgrade is that they will not, at this time anyway, sell you the parts necessary to do the changeover yourself and save sending the press back to them, and they will not be ready to upgrade any old presses until February.

Back
Top Bottom