Rattlecan Paintjob

Sup nes? I got a rare 80 degree low humidity day so let's get our bob ross on!

First, I removed the velcro strap from the pistol. It's my understanding that it's very bad to modify this in any way, so I'm leaving it unpainted. I masked up anything rubber, the lenses on my optic and light, the magwell, the buttpad, the trigger and trigger cut, and stuffed a bunch of tape in the end of the trash can. Don't want any paint getting in the moving parts of my already sloppy-toleranced poverty pony/psa upper. Then washed down really well with everclear, making sure to remove any bit of grease. I did this twice. Left in the sun a half hour and a bit more oil seeped out of the crevices, so some work with Q tips was needed. Then hit it with the air compressor to remove any dust.

20240519_112959.jpg

Next two coats of krylon khaki as a base coat. I did a bunch of samples on random objects and the khaki made the later greens and reds look closest to the way I wanted. We don't want any black to show through so it's very important to get good coverage. I also let this cure for 4 hours in the sun. You really want the base coat to stick well.

20240519_115610.jpg

Then hand-width stripes of krylon camo army green alternated with rustoleum camo sage green, two coats. No big deal to leave any khaki showing, as you can see there's plenty of that color in my yard, which is exactly how I chose my colors.

20240519_124032.jpg

Then tape, lots and lots of tape. You know when you tear a piece of paper and the edge is kind of random? Well you can do the same thing with masking tape which makes this easy. Why pay for stencils from amazon? $7? f*** that, I'm a skinflint. You want to make irregular stripes, think half dripping liquid and half-defined edges. Like mud. Most people use vertical stripes at a slight angle. Think of the way you would carry a rifle slung, you want to make horizontal stripes in that position. You would think you would want vertical stripes, but it's counterintuitive. When you look at things at a macro level like you're looking at a mountain over a field over a river those are all horizontal shapes. This is gonna take a shitload of tape, lets go!

20240519_134942.jpg

Then I put one nice light coat of Hunter Specialtie's mud brown. I love this color. It has that limestone and clay look that the soil in this region. Also reminds me of the German Fleck red. This one doesn't like the heat today so gotta be careful. Then MORE FKIN TAPE. I swear I'm not looking at painter's tape ever again after this. I'm adding to the margins I made before, this color's actually a little bright so I'm making smaller stripes.

20240519_144901.jpg

Last edited:
Then same as before I'm going to make alternating 4" wide stripes, this time with 2 darker colors. Krylon camo dark brown and rustoleum camo green. Great mud colors.

20240519_145126.jpg

And here it is with the tape all peeled away, except the lenes and rubber parts.

20240519_151635.jpg

I could have stopped here and that would be fine, but nothing in rural KY is bright and shiny. So I mixed some colors, making a slightly darker green and a slightly darker khaki and using a sea sponge to splotch ramdomly and try to make some texture. Then used a piece of mesh bag and krylon camo flat black to put some digi effect because f*** it, it's the f***ing future. Then I took my lightest color, the army green, and slightly sprayed the bottom of the rifle down, making the bottom lighter. Then I took my darkest non black color, the camo brown, and make the top darker. This is also counter intuitive, but you want to pull shadows upward to make them look more natural and less human. Then I very lightly coated a small section at a time with camo black and immediately wiped it down to make it look dirty. The wife said it looked like I dragged it through the mud behind an ATV, which is exactly what I was going for.

20240519_154401.jpg

And here it is under a tree in afternoon shade.

20240519_154448.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to do a pump shotgun in obnoxious colors next. Same technique but bright orange and green and red. Think warning colors like one of those poisonous fish or toads.

I'm going to do a pump shotgun in obnoxious colors next. Same technique but bright orange and green and red. Think warning colors like one of those poisonous fish or toads.
I'd do it just like the AR you did. Bright colors serve no purpose but to give you away in the field.

Last edited:
Looks ..different :)

Won't all the small parts get sticky and then flake off when the paint dries and those parts move like the trigger, take down pins etc?

I would strip everything down first, or is that not necessary?
Once it dries properly it wears off a little bit here and there but not too bad, I never stripped anything down I just hit it

The thing with using rattlecan is your not supposed to care all that much, if you don't like it or it wears off you just hit it again and it ends up looking better and better each time

If you want it blemish free get it cerakoated the way I see it.

Just my 2 cents

Guns have been painted as far back as ww2 from what i have seen. Some pics of marines in the pacific with green painted 30 cals.

They all look great!

Just curious what happens when the barrels and metal pieces heat up?
I'll repeatedly fire high round count drills, and almost never do mag dumps.

You can see some discoloration in the suppressor.

1716166752039.png

And the some more here, just in front of the gas block (but there also isn't much paint there).

1716166865268.png

Love that scout rifle. Did you drip from a paintbrush to get that pattern? And you're a southpaw! Cool. I'm also a southpaw for most things but I shoot righty. Is that chickenwire? Seems to work great for rocks. Maybe I'll do a Red River Gorge version like that out of red sandstone colors.

Back
Top Bottom