Range report on my Walther P22, also need help.

It performed good at the range until I got to about 175rds through it and then it wouldn't eject the rounds, wouldn't chamber another round after one was fired, and stove piped a bunch of times. So we cleaned it and lubed it up and it worked fine for the rest of the range trip. [thinking] FYI the ammo I used was CCI Mini mags which are copper covered, and then Winchester Wildcat which are just exposed lead.

So I got it home and just cleaned it. The inside of the barrel looks like absolute shit! I tried to clean it and I got most of what ever was in there out, but theres one spot inside the barrel where it almost looks like some of gouge in it. If you keep it straight to your eye the barrel looks nice and round, but if you put it up to the light and if you hold it at an angle to your eye you can see what looks to be a gouge in the barrel. The rest of the barrel looks shiny and clean except in this spot.

Anyone know what this could be?

Here is a pic of the stove pipe.
p22-1.jpg

Last edited:
I've been struggling to find a decent .22 round that will cycle these days. I recently picked up a Ruger 22/45 which eats anything and finally had some trouble with Federal Bulk pack this weekend.

.22 is the dirtiest ammo out there, additionally CCI has some kind of waxy coating on some of their ammo. I have some and it has a strange feel to it. I noticed build up on the inside of my other .22 handgun barrel.

I wouldn't worry too much about the imperfection, just shoot it.

I'm a non green member who doesn't know nothing but if I were me I'd believe me on this :

The Walther P22 is a cool looking little gun. It is fun to shoot.

It is a throwaway POS.

Sorry , but it's true. After everyone finishes telling you how awesome theirs is , do a websearch on problems with them.

The slide on mine separated into two pieces this year , after not too many rounds and less than 3 years old.

A perusal of the WaltherAmerica site will inform you that a P22 has a One year warranty against manufacturers defects. One year ? .... One year ? ...

BTW , do not shoot bare lead through your P22. It will foul the barrel with lead to the point you cannot put a rod & brush through it. Copper washed/"jacketed"/coated ammo only.

Enjoy it , have fun with it. Do not plan on it being around very long.

Was the stove pipe, shooting the CCI or the WW? I have a ruger MKI, and the only ammo that it likes is the CCI Mini Mag... It is good S**t...

Enjoy it , have fun with it. Do not plan on it being around very long.

I agree. I bought one because my daughter liked it and I wanted to get her to the range.

I used it for a few basic pistol classes and it fell apart.

I like Walthers. My carry gun is a Walther (PPS), but the P22 is not their best effort.

You have to be very careful when you're cleaning these. The barrel is a really thin steel tube surrounded by a plastic sleeve. I'd use a boresnake rather than a cleaning rod.

Last edited:
Try CCI SV. They might cost a little more but I've been using them for years in my 22's and have never had a problem with them.

I believe we all have had the above listed problems with this piece of junk. One thing I did to prevent any type of jamming was to grease the hell out of the slide with mil -comm and oiled the rest with mil-commafter a good cleaning. I put over 500 rounds through mixing thunderbolt and wwb with no problems - still the gun is junk and I have been tempted to use the sawz -all at times

What you think is a groove in the barrel might be leading too. Use a good bore cleaner like Remington or M-Pro 7, and see if it reduces it. You may need to clean the crap out of it. I spent a few hours last night doing the same thing to a S&W Mod 18.

I used to only shot cci mini mags from mine because that was all it would cycle.

I went to www.rimfirecentral.com and found some great info on the P22.

I did a few simple things to my P22 and now it cycles pretty much everthing I throw at it without any issues.

I know a lot of people piss and moan and will tell you it's crap... maybe they are right.

But as far as mine goes, I have had no issues and have shot well over 3,000 rounds in it.

if i had to take a guess, you had a bad batch of ammo.

I have noticed that the really cheap ammo recently has gotten "cheaper" in quality (if tha was possible) stuff that I used to buy and use in many of my guns just doenst work as well any more. but I have no issues stepping up to a slightly better ammo.

I would run it on Mini Mags and see how you do.

I would also check out this section of rimfirecentral - http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257329
a lot of good info there.

YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom