Range log?

I'm returning to the shooting sports after a loooong absence (and an almost as long wait for my MA LTC [cry] ) and I was wondering how I'll be able to track improvement over time.

Do any of you keep a range log and, if so, what are the things that you write in the log?

I keep a data book of some type for all my long arms. I also keep a seperate journal for high power service rifle that elaborates on my data book for every range session or match. They include weather conditions, dope data, load data, scores, total rounds through barrel, etc. The journal focuses more on self-analysis of the things I screwed up, what areas I need to focus on and what areas show improvement.

I don't keep data on my handguns.

I have been putting off creating one. I have a training schedule that I have been working on for the past couple of months, this includes strength and cardio training along with other indirectly related aspects of shooting. Most has been in my head as to what I want to do and the means to which to achieve my goals.

My range training begins at home with practice on drawing, holstering, reloading, and sight picture with what I carry daily. On the weekends I like to get about fifty to one hundred rounds down range using some targets that I received as part of a course I took.
(read story here)

Some things have changed along the way as my skill set has become stronger and I have developed some things on my own that I would like to put into practice at the range when I have the place to myself. Not to sound too cocky, but there are some methods that I would rather not see someone imitate without having the same or more experience than I have.

I do know that tomorrow (Saturday) will be a take it slow and make it purposeful since I just received a new holster for my sidearm from Milt Sparks.

To answer you question, no I don’t keep a range log, but I need to start now with my pistols so I can implement one when start training with my long guns.

TonyD said:
I keep a data book of some type for all my long arms. I also keep a seperate journal for high power service rifle that elaborates on my data book for every range session or match. They include weather conditions, dope data, load data, scores, total rounds through barrel, etc. The journal focuses more on self-analysis of the things I screwed up, what areas I need to focus on and what areas show improvement.

I don't keep data on my handguns.

+1

Back
Top Bottom