Questions on reloading for 7.62x39

My club doesn't allow any ammo with steel in it - core or jacket. That means I need to load my own rounds if I want to fire my AK b/c all of the cheap 7.62x39 ammo has a bi-metal, metallic case.

I'll be loading these on a Dillon 550, and I have some how-to type questions. I'll be loading both .308 and .311 sized bullets, so I'll need an expanding die in each size. I've never loaded rifles on my 550, but for pistols, the expanding stage is in the 2nd position, and is done by the metal funnel included in the caliber conversion kit. Is this how the flaring is done with rifles, too? If so, would I need 2 different sized funnels/conversion kits, and would the expanding dies I see for the 7.62x39 not work for the 550?

I reload the 7.62x39 for both an SKS & Ruger 77. RCBS dies come with both 308 & 310 expanders. The shellplate & funnel for the 550 are the same for both. they do not expand the neck for bottle neck rifle brass. Neck flaring is only done if the case may be loaded with lead bullets. You will have to lube the brass prior to re-sizing.

To the best of my knowledge, all armor piercing ammo was banned a number of years ago. Military ammo was loaded with a mild steel core.
That was considered to be A/P, so now all ammo shipped to this country is supposed to be in compliance.

Most bottle neck cartridges don't have to have their neck expanded unless your using cast bullets. When you buy the Dillon conversion kit you get a "powder funnel" for lack of a better description. This funnel when placed in the powder die will raise the powder measure dispensing the powder into the case next die will seat/crimp the case neck into the bullet.
Any standard 7/8x14 thread die will work in a 550. Most die sets are 2 die,size die and seater die and should come with 2 expander balls 1 for.308 dia the other .310 dia use the .308 ball and you'll be good to go with either .308 or.311 bullets.
A good powder to use in the Dillon powder measure for 7.62x39 is Accurate Arms 1680
a ball type powder that flows very smoothly Hopes this helps you out.
When you pick up your brass(if you can find it) make sure of the headstamp that its Rem,Win or Fed brass. There are some brass cases that are berdan primed
and you can bend/break your decapping pin if not careful. I have some 7.62x 39 made in Russia that is brass but berdan primed
I load 7.62x 39 on a 650 and the process is not that much diffeent

To the best of my knowledge, all armor piercing ammo was banned a number of years ago. Military ammo was loaded with a mild steel core.
That was considered to be A/P, so now all ammo shipped to this country is supposed to be in compliance.

This is true, and the new Wolf, Tiger, and other cheap, steal-cased 7.62x39 ammo do not have steel cores. BUT, they do have steel in the jackets, and my club does not allow such bullets to be used. Basically, any bullet the attracts a magnet is a no no, and the wolf all attracts a magnet.

Back
Top Bottom