Questions on a Norinco SKS

Viper22

NES Member
I stopped by the local gunshop after work today to find a Norinco SKS on the wall. Its got the bayonet, and the 10 rounder was replaced with a 30 round mag.

Asking price was $200

Good deal or not?

I don't know too much about SKS's.....Milsurps help me out!!!

a few sks's came with the removable ak style mag and those work well and can be hard to find.

Most that have the removable mag are conversions and are not known for reliability.

You need to know which it is before you buy.

Just a heads up .

That 30 rounder is a trouble in mass unless a certain number of parts have been swapped out to make it conform to the Assault Weapons Bill in Mass. Now the parts may have been swapped or not but unless you did the swapping or have all the old parts it gets real hard to prove it . Not worth the risk of going to jail on a $200 gun.

Just my 2 cents

The mag said "Made In USA" and then another USA label....possibly the company that made the magazine........

From what you said about the price and what the mag says, it sounds like its a duckbill magazine that someone replaced the original with.
They call them duckbills because there is a large tab in the front that allows the mag to clip into the slot where the original factory 10 rounder slides into.

$200 isn't a bad price for an SKS if the bolt, trigger assembly, receiver cover numbers match the serial nuimber on the receiver.

I bought a paratrooper model a while back in the config you described and traded the duckbill mag for an original Chinese 10 round with a guy on the SKS forums. Believe it or not there are people out there that actively seek out the USA stamped duckbill mags. They tweak them until they work and use them as detachable mags in standard SKS rifles.

FWIW, here is a pic of what the magazine release will look like on an SKS that takes AK mags. Its a lever release like the AK47 design:

sporter-1.jpg

Here is an SKS with an aftermarket duckbill mag installed. Note the standard SKS slide release that normally opens the 10 round magazine for unloading the rifle. In the case with duckbill mags, it locks the magazine in:

100_1032.jpg

Like I said, if you want an SKS and the numbers match, grab it and find yourself an original 10 round Chinese mag. The duckbill ones usually always feed like shit.

Two hundred dollars, if the gun is operational, is fair enough.

But as Rifleman cautioned, be very careful about leaving the mag attached if the laws prohibit. Case in point, an SKS Board member from NY posted in February this year about his guns being stolen. His guns were found and all were returned except the SKS... it had a mag inserted that was non-conforming to local law.

No way to get it back. And worse could have happened if the authorities with an agenda had confiscated it from his home instead of the thief's home.

As M4M has pointed out, if it has the sliding lever, lose the 30 rounder and find an original. $25 or so more and it might be a nice acquisition.

Its the duckbill magazine as pictured in the second picture. I didn't check if the numbers were matching or not.

When I gave it a quick look over, it was in fairly good shape.

The shop also had a Norinco sporter....somewhat like an AK but with a normal stock, no pistol grip. Also had a 30 rounder....also asking $200.

I had a frankensks that was butchered to take AK mags, sucked. They ruined a nice Norinco early china made with russian parts. The also did a hack job installing a side rail for scope. Who ever did it messed up the wood big time. They even carved out the thumbhole crap stock they put on it.

I for what ever reason paid 200.00 for it a few years ago. My friend loved it and offered my 275.00....sold.

Right now as most say. If it is in good shape and functions 200.00 aint bad.

I might just have to go pick it up later this week..........or at least put a deposit on it...

Milsurps, It doesn't have the mag release like yours. It definetly has the duckbill magazine with the standard latch.

Last edited:
It definetly has the duckbill magazine with the standard latch.

Even that one for $200... still consider it a deal. Compared to a very cheap one on GunBroker ($200), the one in the shop has no FFL or shipping fees which can run $50 on average.

Back
Top Bottom