Questions from a MA LTC holder

I have a MA LTC. Nothing non-resident from CT. I have a few questions:

Let's say I see a long gun or handgun in the forums here in CT. In the case of a handgun, let's say it's one of the few allowed in MA. Theoretically, I can got to CT, run it through a local FFL for the purchase (federal laws), then bring it back into MA and fill out a new firearm registration to comply with the state laws.

Now - what happens when I take the firearm from the FFL and drive back to MA? Assuming I put it in a locked container in my trunk, am I breaking a CT law?
If I wanted buy ammo in CT and bring it back to MA - what happens then?

What I've found in places like NH is that the FFLs are so paranoid about MA laws, they insist on shipping it to a MA FFL.

Thanks....

Let's say I see a long gun or handgun in the forums here in CT. In the case of a handgun, let's say it's one of the few allowed in MA. Theoretically, I can got to CT, run it through a local FFL for the purchase (federal laws), then bring it back into MA and fill out a new firearm registration to comply with the state laws.

Now - what happens when I take the firearm from the FFL and drive back to MA? Assuming I put it in a locked container in my trunk, am I breaking a CT law?

What I've found in places like NH is that the FFLs are so paranoid about MA laws, they insist on shipping it to a MA FFL.

Thanks....

IF by going through a local FFL you mean local in CT, you cant do this. A handgun has to go through an FFL in your own state.

In the case of a long gun, there is no transportation issue as you dont need a permit in CT for long guns. However, you will be subject to the CT waiting period.

Last edited:
Let's say I see a long gun or handgun in the forums here in CT. In the case of a handgun, let's say it's one of the few allowed in MA. Theoretically, I can got to CT, run it through a local FFL for the purchase (federal laws), then bring it back into MA and fill out a new firearm registration to comply with the state laws. Now - what happens when I take the firearm from the FFL and drive back to MA? Assuming I put it in a locked container in my trunk, am I breaking a CT law?

Per federal law, handguns can only be obtained via a FTF transaction between residents of the same state, or from a FFL in the buyer's state of residence. Long guns can be purchased in another state from a FFL only (no FTF transactions). This does not include C&R transactions.

Perfectly legal. Nothing "happens then".

They are required to ship handguns, but not long guns, to a MA FFL, as explained above.

In the case of a long gun, there is no transportation issue as you dont need a permit in CT for long guns. However, you will be subject to the CT waiting period.

Eeeeks!! What is the waiting period in CT? I forgot that handguns have to be shipped. What I'm more concerned with is I have a long gun I've purchased through this FFL and it's in my car trunk - secured - and I get pulled over by a friendly state trooper. Since I'm not a CT resident, do I need any sort of permit?

Also - when you buy ammo in CT, do they card you for a DL? Is my MA LTC good enough?

Thanks.

Eeeeks!! What is the waiting period in CT? I forgot that handguns have to be shipped. What I'm more concerned with is I have a long gun I've purchased through this FFL and it's in my car trunk - secured - and I get pulled over by a friendly state trooper. Since I'm not a CT resident, do I need any sort of permit?

Also - when you buy ammo in CT, do they card you for a DL? Is my MA LTC good enough?

Thanks.

resident or non resident, you dont need a permit for a long gun. I believe the waiting period is either 10 days or two weeks. For ammo you just need a DL

resident or non resident, you dont need a permit for a long gun. I believe the waiting period is either 10 days or two weeks. For ammo you just need a DL

So just to clarify - even if I buy an existing long gun through an FFL, there is still a 10-14 day waiting period until I can take the gun home? At that point it would likely be easier to ship it to my local FFL in MA and have him do the transaction with no waiting period.

Thanks...

Eeeeks!! What is the waiting period in CT?

14 days.

So just to clarify - even if I buy an existing long gun through an FFL, there is still a 10-14 day waiting period until I can take the gun home?

Correct, 14 days.

At that point it would likely be easier to ship it to my local FFL in MA and have him do the transaction with no waiting period.

Perhaps easier, but certainly more expensive (shipping+transfer fee).

It's a 14 Day waiting period on Long Gun Sales in CT (Exempt if you have a CT Permit/ CT Hunting License..Resident/Non-Resident). Nothing is needed to purchase ammo (Maybe a DL if they ask..prob not though)....In terms of Transportation of a long gun...CT Law only addresses CT Defined "Assault Weapons" for transportation...and pistols/machine guns

Weapons in Vehicle
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/Chap529.htm#Sec29-38.htm

FOPA
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/Chap529.htm#Sec29-38d.htm

Assault Weapon
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/pub/Chap943.htm#Sec53-202f.htm

Now that I have those that seem to know the CT laws onboard, let me open the curtain a little more. I have a C&R - does the 14 day waiting period still apply? I realize for a long gun that is a C&R gun, I could just have it transferred to me - but if it's not - does the C&R give me any additional latitude as far as the 14 days goes?

If it is a handgun, you can't. That's a federal felony. It would have to be shipped from the CT FFL to a MA FFL, and then the MA FFL would transfer it to you (provided, of course, that it was MA compliant).

My understanding of the waiting period only applies if you purchase the gun from an FFL. If you do a private sale from person to person (neither one being an FFL), I believe the 'good faith' clause kicks in where you just have to be 'reasonably' sure the person is allowed under law to possess a firearm (IE, negligible criminal background; no violent/drug crimes; gun will be used lawfully; etc...) ... I could be wrong but that is what I gathered when reading the CTGS

Correct..but they have to be a CT Resident...Private Long Gun sales in CT DO NOT require any notification/Permit or anything...I would always check to make sure they are a CT resident though by seeing a DL or something...He is from Mass though...

Last edited:
Now that I have those that seem to know the CT laws onboard, let me open the curtain a little more. I have a C&R - does the 14 day waiting period still apply? I realize for a long gun that is a C&R gun, I could just have it transferred to me - but if it's not - does the C&R give me any additional latitude as far as the 14 days goes?

if the gun you're trying to purchase isn't a C&R your C&R FFL won't dont anything for you

My understanding of the waiting period only applies if you purchase the gun from an FFL. If you do a private sale from person to person (neither one being an FFL), I believe the 'good faith' clause kicks in where you just have to be 'reasonably' sure the person is allowed under law to possess a firearm (IE, negligible criminal background; no violent/drug crimes; gun will be used lawfully; etc...) ... I could be wrong but that is what I gathered when reading the CTGS

It's a federal felony to sell a firearm to someone who doesn't live in your state in a private transaction. A non-resident can only purchase guns through an FFL if they don't live in the state.

Actually, I have some clarification on the FFL issue.

In the case of handguns - yes, you need to do the transaction through and FFL and that FFL has to ship it to your home state, of course the draconian MA acceptable firearms issues come into play there.

In the case of long guns - An FFL has to be involved with the transaction. If I, as a MA resident, bought a long gun from someone in CT, we would have to go to an FFL, and he would have to make sure that the Feds knew who the gun was going to. However, I can then take the long gun, stick it in my car, and drive home.

This information comes from my neighbor, who is an FFL and a MA dealer.

In the case of handguns - yes, you need to do the transaction through and FFL and that FFL has to ship it to your home state, of course the draconian MA acceptable firearms issues come into play there.

Partially true. There is only need for 1 FFL (the one in your state of residence). FFLs can accept interstate shipments from non-FFLs.

In the case of long guns - An FFL has to be involved with the transaction. If I, as a MA resident, bought a long gun from someone in CT, we would have to go to an FFL, and he would have to make sure that the Feds knew who the gun was going to. However, I can then take the long gun, stick it in my car, and drive home.

Again, partially true. You would still be subject to the 14 day waiting period (unless you qualify for one of the exemptions).

This information comes from my neighbor, who is an FFL and a MA dealer.

Much of the info that you posted is legally correct, but there were some errors. Gun dealers and cops are notorious for not knowing the gun laws, so it's best to do your own research into them and not only rely on what they say.

Again, partially true. You would still be subject to the 14 day waiting period (unless you qualify for one of the exemptions).

Correct. A non-res. CT carry permit will exempt you from the waiting period BS, if you have one.

Much of the info that you posted is legally correct, but there were some errors. Gun dealers and cops are notorious for not knowing the gun laws, so it's best to do your own research into them and not only rely on what they say.

Actually, this particular dealer is anal about the laws and regulations, so I trust his information. He's one of the ones that - if he doesn't know you - will make you sign a piece a paper that says a non-compliant gun has been the commonwealth before the ban. Whether the FFL in CT will know the laws as well is anyone's guess. For example - I was talking to an FFL in NH - he's so scared of MA, he ships everything, including long guns, to an FFL in MA.

Actually, this particular dealer is anal about the laws and regulations, so I trust his information. He's one of the ones that - if he doesn't know you - will make you sign a piece a paper that says a non-compliant gun has been the commonwealth before the ban. Whether the FFL in CT will know the laws as well is anyone's guess. For example - I was talking to an FFL in NH - he's so scared of MA, he ships everything, including long guns, to an FFL in MA.

The part I bolded isn't enough from the dealer to legally do a transfer in MA, and won't even slightly get him off the hook if he transfers something that he wasn't supposed to. If he does transfer it to you it's on him, not you (unless it's a post ban AW or magazine of some sort), but that just proves my point, it's a dealer who doesn't fully understand or follow the MA gun laws. I've been studying them for years and I still don't know or understand all of them, so it's not exactly a point of shame, but prosecutor's aren't known for being understanding when it comes to broken gun laws. An FFL can be a good starting point to get some info to verify yourself, but it's a very bad idea to rely on them exclusively.

Back
Top Bottom