Question to Pistol Competition experts

• Thread starter Deleted member 12999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12999

I would like to shoot with my gun in the setup that I prefer to conceal carry : weapon mounted light (loctite, and I'm not ripping it off to compete), and carry appendix.

I know that IDPA is a no-go, and was wondering if there is any divisions in USPSA or IPSC (or anything else I might not have thought of) that would allow that kind of setup?

My google-fu is not coming up with at solution, but I'm going on little sleep.

So that would eliminate appendix carry... unless I want to look REALLY weird. My light wouldn't be a problem though?

IMO/IME, shooting open division/class with an otherwise stock pistol will put you at an extreme disadvantage. I'd suggest removing the light when you're going to compete, or get a gun you can use primarily for competition and keep your carry gun as is.

It would be like racing one of these:
Fernando_Alonso_2010_Jerez_test_14.jpg

With one of these:
pedal_car_pic.jpg

I completely agree with you Golddiggie... but I'm not interested in shooting like this to for scores. I want opportunity to shoot with more pressure in the same specs that I generally carry. I can just go shoot stock or production anywhere if I wanted to run a standard setup.

Just run appendix carry outside the waistband, cover it with a shirt. You still get to practice your carry draw and keep the light. The advantage of a true open gun is mainly the mag capacity, so run as big of a mag as you have

Just run appendix carry outside the waistband, cover it with a shirt. You still get to practice your carry draw and keep the light. The advantage of a true open gun is mainly the mag capacity, so run as big of a mag as you have

Ok. Thanks. I think I can figure something out with holsters I have kicking around.

You "can" run an IWB holster in USPSA but you're going to give most ROs the willies. Your best bet IMO would be what Mike said- use an appendix OWB holster. Assuming you're not using a .380 or something crazy like that...

You "can" run an IWB holster in USPSA but you're going to give most ROs the willies. Your best bet IMO would be what Mike said- use an appendix OWB holster. Assuming you're not using a .380 or something crazy like that...

Nope. G23 with a viridian light

Wanna borrow a g34 for a match instead? I know it's not the same effect for what your looking for but it might be worth it to try with a holster / pistol that is setup to shoot in a production division

PM me if you want to borrow it

Very generous! Let me just see what I can find for matches that fits schedule in Worcester Co area, and ill let you know.

Please cite the rule for that?

Supporting the use of any holster...

USPSA Rule 5.2.7 restricts the use of shoulder rigs, any holster that has the butt of the firearm below the belt, any holster that has the muzzle pointing more than 3 feet from the competitor, and a holster that does not completely prevent access or activation of the trigger.

I cannot find a reference that requires OWB holsters.

Roland : My concern is that you're drawing and significantly sweeping yourself with an IWB appendix, which is allowed for in the rules, but gives me the willies. :D

Supporting the use of any holster...

USPSA Rule 5.2.7 restricts the use of shoulder rigs, any holster that has the butt of the firearm below the belt, any holster that has the muzzle pointing more than 3 feet from the competitor, and a holster that does not completely prevent access or activation of the trigger.

I cannot find a reference that requires OWB holsters.

Roland : My concern is that you're drawing and significantly sweeping yourself with an IWB appendix, which is allowed for in the rules, but gives me the willies. :D

The only issue I could see is if the ROs at the match he goes to object, the RM could declare his holster unsafe under 5.2.6. The way that rule is worded gives the RM pretty wide latitude to declare whatever holsters they want unsafe. The competitor could take it to arbitration, but would be unlikely to win.

Don't forget this rule.... There have been RMs who have ruled appendix carry as unsafe as far as competition goes.

5.2.6 USPSA Handgun matches will not require the use of a particular type
or brand of holster. However, the Range Master may deem that a competitor’s holster is unsafe and order that it be improved to his satisfaction, failing which it must be withdrawn from the match. Divisions may restrict a specific type of holster.

I would suggest finding out a head of time before traveling to a match.

Due to the possibility of problems on match day as referred to by Dave, I would suggest the use of an OWB holster that would satisfy the demands of Production Division. This would place you in a division in which you would be competitive and give you the opportunity to get some valuable "trigger time". You can improve your skills with the IWB holster in practice sessions or by dry firing. The important thing is to get out and shoot.

PS It is a good idea to have more than one method to carry your gun. IWB may not always be the best
carry position. For many years I carried just about 24/7 and preferred IWB, but also found many occasions where OWB was a better choice.

Last edited:
Looks like a lot have posted their opinion, and some have backed up with facts from the rule book.
Here is my opinion.

If you really want to shoot exactly what you carry, and you really don't care about being competitive in a division, run your glock with your mounted light in your AIWB. You will be placed in open division because of the light.

If you can demonstrate safe holstering and drawing, that the RO is comfortable with, I don't see a problem with it.

Check out this guy http://rationalgun.blogspot.com/2014/03/uspsa-as-competitive-environment-for.html

ETA I just saw that Nick posted the same link... doh

No worries on dupes, I just want to hear opinions.

Heres my plan.
1. Bring my aiwb holster and mag setup.
2. Bring a backup owb appendix setup.
3. Bring duty belt rig for if all else fails.
4. Chat up match director and see if setup can be okay'd
5. Demonstrate safe handling if necessary?

No worries on dupes, I just want to hear opinions.

Heres my plan.
1. Bring my aiwb holster and mag setup.
2. Bring a backup owb appendix setup.
3. Bring duty belt rig for if all else fails.
4. Chat up match director and see if setup can be okay'd
5. Demonstrate safe handling if necessary?

Looks like a good plan, covers all your bases.

You will be placed in open division because of the light.

Not necessarily... Vogel now runs a light on a Glock 24 in Limited division, but it is non-functional, and he puts a weight in there for recoil control.

edit: although the equipment rule for Limited states: "Installed Flashlight permitted: no" - I believe if you render the flashlight inoperable (remove the battery or light), as Vogel does, you should be OK in Limited.

Last edited:
Yeah. I really don't want to tear it apart or off to shoot. I just want a way to shoot like if I just walked in concealed carrying off of the street.

Yeah. I really don't want to tear it apart or off to shoot. I just want a way to shoot like if I just walked in concealed carrying off of the street.

If you aren't looking to be competitive with the big boys, the class doesn't really matter. Shoot whatever class they tell you to, get good solid hits and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom