Question on Sig 365

Junior314

NES Life Member
NES Member
I remembered hearing there was an issue with the 365's where shaking them would sometimes fire off a round. I also vaguely remember something about it being fixed in a later generation.

How would one tell what generation their 365 is?

I remembered hearing there was an issue with the 365's where shaking them would sometimes fire off a round. I also vaguely remember something about it being fixed in a later generation.

How would one tell what generation their 365 is?

There was a video that is a few years old. But it keeps getting re-uploaded to YouTube so it makes it look like a more recent issue.

The issue was fixed but no one posts that video.

I believe it happened to one person, I don't know if it was a larger issue.

Anyway, it is a few years old.

I think the very early 365’s had some issue with the firing pin or the extractor? I don’t recall them ever having an issue with unintentionally discharging.

The first 365s had problems with striker dragging on primers. They went through a couple of striker design updates until they "cracked the code" on that problem. Also those same "run" of 365s had other issues with the trigger springs and other mechanisms braking. Sig fixed those issues probably about a year after they came to market. By all accounts the 365s have been good to go with little issues since then. The 320s had drop safety issues. This "should" have been addressed by any models made after 2020. Although that point may be up for debate. I have a 365 with about 1300 rnds through it and I have no issue with it.

Last month I bought a 365X. So far have 400 rounds through it with no problems. I think Sig corrected the problem a few years ago.

P365 isn't as bad as P320 but it's had its own issues. The mag is brilliant; the gun is a poor (unsafe compared to the competition) design imo.

Been daily carrying mine for 4 years now. Shoot it from time to time to stay sharp. Clean it often. Can’t say anything bad about it at all. I think I had one hard primer in a box of Barnaul 2 years ago.

What’s unsafe about the P365? No trigger safety?
Trigger safety is one factor, yes, but there's more.

All of the internal safeties have a single point of failure - the lug on the striker. If that ever breaks, the (fully cocked) firing pin will fly forward with nothing to stop it. It's an extremely strong part but it's up to you to decide how much you trust Sig to produce millions of these MIM parts without a single manufacturing defect (hint: there are documented cases of them breaking, albeit very, very few, like single-digit few).

Contrast that with, say, a Glock that has redundancies. The firing pin is only half cocked until the trigger is pulled. Even if the lug breaks the firing pin will get stopped by the firing pin block that's located further down the slide (vs back at the lug on the P365). Also, on the Glock the sear has to move in two directions vs one on the P365 - again, it's highly unlikely to drop a gun with enough force to make it go off but at least on the Glock you'd have to drop it in two directions simultaneously.

Bottom line: the P365 is pretty darn safe... but a Glock is safer, as it's physically impossible for it to go off without the trigger being pulled. I can't even conceptualize what would have to go wrong on a Glock in order for it to just go off on its own - seems it would require metal parts to disappear into thin air (if anyone knows of an actual plausible way, please post it). Plus I don't trust Sig in general - their quality control is lacking (to put it mildly); they're still denying that P320s have serious problems. Anyways, I know which one I'd rather have pointed at my twig and berries. YMMV.

Trigger safety is one factor, yes, but there's more.

All of the internal safeties have a single point of failure - the lug on the striker. If that ever breaks, the (fully cocked) firing pin will fly forward with nothing to stop it. It's an extremely strong part but it's up to you to decide how much you trust Sig to produce millions of these MIM parts without a single manufacturing defect (hint: there are documented cases of them breaking, albeit very, very few, like single-digit few).

Contrast that with, say, a Glock that has redundancies. The firing pin is only half cocked until the trigger is pulled. Even if the lug breaks the firing pin will get stopped by the firing pin block that's located further down the slide (vs back at the lug on the P365). Also, on the Glock the sear has to move in two directions vs one on the P365 - again, it's highly unlikely to drop a gun with enough force to make it go off but at least on the Glock you'd have to drop it in two directions simultaneously.

Bottom line: the P365 is pretty darn safe... but a Glock is safer, as it's physically impossible for it to go off without the trigger being pulled. I can't even conceptualize what would have to go wrong on a Glock in order for it to just go off on its own - seems it would require metal parts to disappear into thin air (if anyone knows of an actual plausible way, please post it). Plus I don't trust Sig in general - their quality control is lacking (to put it mildly); they're still denying that P320s have serious problems. Anyways, I know which one I'd rather have pointed at my twig and berries. YMMV.

I do think it's kinda stupid that there's nothing blocking inertia driven bar movement on the p320/365... shit even trash like the Shield has that on it. But at least in the 365 on the ground it hasn't seen a rash of safety concerns. Maybe they tested it enough to determine that under real circumstances it wouldn't pose a problem.

Oddly enough awhile ago I saw pics of a different trigger design for the p320 where they had a glock/xd style finger nub on the trigger that blocked movement. 🤣 I'm guessing this never went into production because it might have forced them to admit there was a problem.

Back
Top Bottom