Question on renewing Mass LTC - How early can I renew it?

John2006

NES Member
Hi All,

My unrestricted Class A LTC expires one year from today. It looks like I'm going to be moving from a Green town to a Red town in the next few months and wanted to know how early I can renew my license through my current Chief/town. I looked online, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance

I applied for my renewal 3 months to the day before it expires. It took one month to get it in hand. (Each town varies though in how quickly you get the renewal.)

Mine expires in 2.5 months. I dropped off the app yesterday.

I live in a green town, btw, that issues ALP.

However, I happen to know that the Sgt. said it takes two weeks for an FID and a person I know applied for their renewal 6 weeks before expiration. His FID expired end of June. When he calls all he gets is "it's not back from the State Police yet. Don't call us, we'll call you".

So I can't wait to see how this goes.

I guess my point is - if you want your LTC from where your are now, don't wait. [grin]

Hi All,

My unrestricted Class A LTC expires one year from today. It looks like I'm going to be moving from a Green town to a Red town in the next few months and wanted to know how early I can renew my license through my current Chief/town. I looked online, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance

Don't move. But if you do, if you renew now, the license will have the issue date of a year from now. More importantly, I do not believe that it will be activate able until a year from now. That will cause you issues if you have already moved.

I seriously doubt any CLEO is going to approve a license renewal a full year ahead of the expiration date. Even if they were to accept the application that far ahead, they wouldn't activate it until it's issue date or close to it. If you've notified them by then that you've moved to another town, then they probably won't activate it at all. Your best bet, assuming that you can't avoid moving to a red town would be to delay making that your official residence for as long as possible. Even though where you live is a provable fact, your place of residence is nothing more than a legal fiction. You have to apply for your renewal in the town in which you reside, and notify the issuing authority among others when you change your residence. Even if you have to move to a red town, if you can keep your residence in your old town for the next year, then you should be OK for another six years. The key would be your ability to continue to receive mail at your current residence after you've moved to the new town. If you can do this, then keep your voter registration and drivers license at that address, and you should be good to go. When you can no long keep this up, you'll have to make the required notifications and rely on the new town for any future renewals.

Ken

The FRB is in charge of the issue date for the renewal, not the licensing PD. If the FRB and your licensing authority are both aware of what you are trying to do, they are "occasionally" helpful. I am in the process of renewing my license approx 4 years early (to get my T&A restriction removed since I moved to a green town). It took some fighting with my issuing PD to send a fax to the FRB with instructions, but they played ball once Jesse Cohen got involved. I called the FRB and confirmed with them that I would not have an issue with the effective date being 4 years in the future, and the guy I spoke to replied "No, we have you in the system for your new license to become effective upon your receipt of it." He then advised that I ask if the department would like me to turn in my old license so they can destroy it once I have my renewed license in hand.

Long story short...you need to talk to your issuing PD and find out if they will renew your license one year early. I'm renewing mine 4 years early, so 1 year obviously is doable if you deal with halfway competent people who understand what you're trying to do

Just because the town is "red" does not necessarily mean that you will be restricted upon renewal. Search the relevant thread to see the experiences of others in that town. You could also speak with the licensing officer.

Some red towns are red because the initial LTC has restrictions. They might not add restrictions upon renewal. Research the town you're moving to a little more.

BTT

I am renewing mine shortly. Is it just a matter of turning in the paperwork at the station? I live in Shirley now and I have to fill out two forms. One is basically like the first application and the second is something else.

whenever you move do not forget to send all of your change of address notifications during the required time. Check GOAL for that forms and requirements.

whenever you move do not forget to send all of your change of address notifications during the required time. Check GOAL for that forms and requirements.

Already done. Just checking to see if I ought to drop off the renewal or send certified mail.

Drop it off in Person. You'll get a receipt from the officer taking it. That receipt is proof of your renewal. Under the new law, your LTC remains valid if there is a renewal in progress.

Back
Top Bottom