Question about appropriate bullseye pistol

I was looking at getting into my Local Club's (Braintree R&P) bullseye pistol matches. I don't have a ton of cash, but I want to test the waters, while still being somewhat competitive. Would a Ruger MKIII Hunter or perhaps the bull barrel version (a lot cheaper, but less barrel) Or maybe the Competition model, be a decent pistol for this? I've heard about how the pistol is a colosal pain in the ass, but other than that are their any real downsides to it? I fired a friend's Hämmerli and Smith model 41, and I didn't like how either pistol felt. Also, if anyone has any tips for someone who's never shot bullseye, that would be helpful.

Thanks
-James G.

P.S. I heard from one of the member that there is an outdoor .22 pistol 75 yard match? Is that true? That sounds like a ton of fun, even better if iron sights only.

Last edited:
yes

The MKIII will outshoot you. Its more than adequate for bullseye.

Once you find that your score is lets say in the 270's or better
you might consider a 41, Pardini etc. these might bring your
score up by 10 points or so.

A 5" bbl is just fine. A red dot is definitely a must.

You can find MKII, MKIII for a reasonable price, probably in
this forum.

I own a MKIII and shoot it every Wednesday.

JimB

guns007.jpg

guns006.jpg

guns004.jpg

Here are two different versions of my bullseye gun. Ruger mark III obviously. First I tried the BSA 30 mm red dot first with some Acu Grips.(bottom pic) I didn't like that setup, so I put a Millet 1 inch dot sight and some used Herret adjustable grips on it. It will shoot better than I ever will.(top pics)

Ruger is good. I like used high standards better. Nicer trigger and equal or better accuracy than the Ruger for about the same money.

Trick is finding magazines and ammo that will feed reliably. They (magazines) need to be tuned and tweaked to the gun.

There are many excellent bullseye people at Braintree. Just show up on a match day (Thursday night) and they will help.

Ruger Mark II personally. And buy the Volquartsen drop in adjustable trigger and sear the first time you clean it. 2 years and I still can't come equal to what I can shoot when benchresting it!

Get and UltraDot. Battery won't die on you in the middle of a match (or if you leave it on between them!)

-= chuck

James,

Come down to the club (Braintree) next Thursday 3/6/08. We have a home match. The match starts at about 8 pm but there are a bunch of us who go to the range early, 5 to 6 oclock. You can practice with us and I know some of the guy's who shoot rugers will help you out.

Lou DeCota

Back
Top Bottom