• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SCOTUS OT 2022 - Qualified Immunity Edition

He should not have resisted.

The police may not have known it was his own porch.

They probably though he was going to rob the place.
I know you’re joking, but I can absolutely imagine that sort of defense.

The really f***ed up part is how out of one side of their mouths they’ll say they have a duty to protect, and at the same time point to the SCOTUS case saying they have no duty to protect.

Well the 2021 SCOTUS term kicked off today and with it another denial of cert in a qualified immunity case. This time with a dissent from Justice Sotomayor: https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/100421zor_5357.pdf (skip to the last two pages).

It [qualified immunity] does not protect an officer who inflicts deadly force on a person who is only a threat to himself. That proposition is so “apparent” that any reasonable officer is surely “on notice” that such a use of force is unlawful. Hope v. Pelzer, 536 U. S. 730, 739 (2002) (internal quotation marks omitted).

I would grant the petition and summarily reverse the Third Circuit’s judgment. I respectfully dissent from the Court’s failure to do so.
'

Time to revive this thread as the SCOTUS OT2022 QI Edition.

IJ has petitioned the court in Novak v. City of Parma, OH. Mr. Novak's issue has appeared elsewhere on NES, but let's bring it back here now.

Long story short: Guy creates a parody Facebook page for his local PD. They arrest him, charge and try him user what is essentially a computer hacking statutes. He's found not guilty at trial and sues to vindicate his civil rights. Oh, but CA6 determines that the officers are entitled to qualified immunity because it is not 'clearly established' that parody is protected speech.

Cert stage amici include The Onion and The Babylon Bee. If you do nothing else, at least read these briefs. Parma's response is due November 28th. I'm hoping this hits conference in December.

Last edited:
Time to revive this thread as the SCOTUS OT2022 QI Edition.

IJ has petitioned the court in Novak v. City of Parma, OH. Mr. Novak's issue has appeared elsewhere on NES, but let's bring it back here now.

Long story short: Guy creates a parody Facebook page for his local PD. They arrest him, charge and try him user what is essentially a computer hacking statutes. He's found not guilty at trial and sues to vindicate his civil rights. Oh, but CA6 determines that the officers are entitled to qualified immunity because it is not 'clearly established' that parody is protected speech.

Cert stage amici include The Onion and The Babylon Bee. If you do nothing else, at least read these briefs. Parma's response is due November 28th. I'm hoping this hits conference in December.

This one from the 2nd circuit was argued there today.

I give the cop’s lawyer and ‘A’ for effort but a ‘D’ for persuasion.

I’m not sure the ‘but he has a gun, maybe licensed. Maybe not, and a running car in a high crime area so he has the right to cuff the guy and search the entire car’ is going to fly lol. The desperate plea of ‘we’ll no one really knew the limits of a search because this could have never ruled on that aspect’ isn’t persuasive either.

I’d be shocked if it isn’t upheld 3-0. SCOTUS won’t touch it either so the cop is screwed and rightly so.

The panel is 2 biden judges, one Obama.

I would argue parody is established as clearly protected by way of lawsuits that established that use of copyrighted material for parody purposes is legal

"A parody is fair use of a copyrighted work when it is a humorous form of social commentary and literary criticism in which one work imitates another."

Back
Top Bottom