Purchasing ammo

Can a youth that is 15 that has a mass fid buy ammo in ct? My brother is 15 and has an fid but the clossest most convienent ammo dealer for him to go to is just over the border in ct.

He might be screwed- I don't think anyone under 18 can buy pistol/rifle ammo from an FFL. (which is pretty much every dealer). He would have to get an adult to get it for him.

-Mike

Correct. Notice, however, that the age 'restriction' is vague? It doesn't require any proof although I suspect that a place like WalMart might ask for ID.

Rome

Minimum Age Restrictions

Federal law regulates the sale of ammunition to young people. It bars licensed manufacturers or dealers from selling long gun ammunition to anyone who they believe is under age 18. Also they may not sell handgun ammunition to anyone they reasonably believe is under age 21 (18 USC § 922(b)(1)).

Minimum 21 years old to buy pistol ammo, 18 for rifle/shotgun ammo.

Just a clarification here. This is a Federal law. It has nothing to do with CT.

CT does not have any restrictions of any kind on ammunition sales other than ".50 Caliber Armor Piercing".
There is no need to show ID other than to prove age.

One other thing, the law sets minimum ages for PURCHASE. There is no age restrictions on possession of ammunition.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom