purchase from out of state dealer

Hello,

I have purchased a few firearms using my C&R license, from an out of state internet dealer. Do I need to register these rifles, or fill out any paper work for them? One is a Yugo SKS, the other is a Mosin-Nagant MN91/30

Thanks!

Do I need to register these rifles, or fill out any paper work for them? One is a Yugo SKS, the other is a Mosin-Nagant MN91/30

What the guns are, other than antiques or replicas, is utterly irrelevant. So is your C&R.

You have to record all such acquisitions on an FA-10 per Mass. law. A C&R holder should know this.

Thanks for the reply. Being a fairly new resident to the state, coming from Oregon, where we don't have to do diddly if we purchase something, I did not know. MA laws are so confusing

BTW, the FA-10 form apparently is obsolete, at least according to the new form that I picked up from the local PD. It is a 'Firearm Sale/Rental/Lease Transaction Form' and states on the form that the "form replaces the FA-1 Reporting Card, FA-2 Registration Card, and Fa-10 Dealer Book which are now obsolete."

BTW, the FA-10 form apparently is obsolete, at least according to the new form that I picked up from the local PD. It is a 'Firearm Sale/Rental/Lease Transaction Form' and states on the form that the "form replaces the FA-1 Reporting Card, FA-2 Registration Card, and Fa-10 Dealer Book which are now obsolete."

Having just filled one out yesterday, I can tell you that the FA-10 IS the correct form.

New arrivals would to well to post less and research more before undertaking transactions they know so little about.[wink]

Having just filled one out yesterday, I can tell you that the FA-10 IS the correct form.

New arrivals would to well to post less and research more before undertaking transactions they know so little about.[wink]

All I know is what the LEO gave me. And what the form says right on the first page.

And someone with 1,859 posts should be less of a jerk and a little kinder to the new arrivals. How do you think some people do research, they ASK and POST on message boards. No reason to be such an A-Hole when answering such a simple question.

..."form replaces the FA-1 Reporting Card, FA-2 Registration Card, and Fa-10 Dealer Book which are now obsolete."

Hi Nemesis,

My condolences on your arrival in Massachusetts, but welcome to the forum.

Yes, the FA-10 is the correct form to use. Apparently, there was some "dealer book" of forms in use at an earlier time. I don't have any knowledge of such books, but I'm sure someone else on the forum can explain. I have a C&R also, and it is really handy to keep a stack of FA-10s around. The form you have shows "F. A. -10 10/98" in the lower right corner. When you fill it out for a C&R purchase, check off "Registration" in the upper left corner and LEAVE THE SELLER INFORMATION SECTION BLANK. That section is only filled out by an in-state seller (dealer or private sale).

-Gary

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the helpful information! I will have to check with the local PD to get the correct form. Thanks for the tips on filling it out as well, very helpful! [grin]

It's actually my return to MA, as I left many many years ago, and recently returned 'back home' Had no idea what a hornets nest of gun laws I would be jumping into! Things were so much easier in Oregon.

The form you have is (most likely) the correct FA- 10 form.

What you mentioned above is what the correct FA-10 form says on the first page. If you look at the page where you fill in the actual transaction data, bottom right hand corner it should say FA-10 10/98.

Nemesis, you do have the proper form. It's labeled 'Firearm Sale/Rental/Lease Transaction Form'. As gws1063 points out it's also called an FA-10 form and it apparently did replace some kind of older documentation called an 'FA-10 Dealer Book'.

Don't let Scrivener get to you. What he posts IS correct even though you might not like the way he says it.

All I know is what the LEO gave me.

Sounds like Mistake # 1. [wink]

How do you think some people do research, they ASK and POST on message boards. .

Mistake # 2. Look up "research" before you lecture us on it. Then look at the "SEARCH" button on this and every OTHER firearms forum.

If you've got a dictionary open, check "initiative" while you're at it....

All I know is what the LEO gave me. And what the form says right on the first page.

And someone with 1,859 posts should be less of a jerk and a little kinder to the new arrivals. How do you think some people do research, they ASK and POST on message boards. No reason to be such an A-Hole when answering such a simple question.
Dont worry Scrivener has a real nac for making people feel like a dumbass He has done to me a time or two and I know I am not the brightest bulb on the tree. Dont take it to heart.

Last edited:
Back before 1998 dealers bought a book with 50 FA-10 multipart forms in it. That is what the statement on the cover sheet is referring to.

As stated, look at the second page, at the bottom and it will tell you that it is indeed an FA-10 FORM (difference between "dealer book" and "form")!

Use the Advanced Search feature on the Gun Laws sub-forum AFTER reading the stickies on this stuff. It should answer most, if not all your questions on this issue.

Welcome to the forum.

Scivener's advice is good, but ignore his sarcasm . . . he's very close to turning into a pillar of salt! [devil]

Hi Nemesis,

My condolences on your arrival in Massachusetts, but welcome to the forum.

Yes, the FA-10 is the correct form to use. Apparently, there was some "dealer book" of forms in use at an earlier time. I don't have any knowledge of such books, but I'm sure someone else on the forum can explain. I have a C&R also, and it is really handy to keep a stack of FA-10s around. The form you have shows "F. A. -10 10/98" in the lower right corner. When you fill it out for a C&R purchase, check off "Registration" in the upper left corner and LEAVE THE SELLER INFORMATION SECTION BLANK. That section is only filled out by an in-state seller (dealer or private sale).

-Gary

Now here's a “TRUE” gentleman.

gws1063;202950 you-da-man, showing the correct way to help a newcomer to these parts, atta-boy!

Some others seem to find enjoyment in tearing into the good folks! [slap]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom