ptr 91's

anyone own one??? read a review a lil while ago in guns and ammo maybe...id love an original HK...but oh ya...i cant afford one...from what ive read theyre pretty much the same thing...supposed to be real quality compared to the cetmes...although i know of people with cetmes that love them...was wondering if anyone has/had one and how it performed etc

I had one, the PTR A1

functioned fine after a 200 round break in. had the usuall battle rifle accuracy, nothing spectacular but decent, would eat anything I put in it once it broke in. Kicked like a mule, much harder than an M1a or FAL
and is a pain to clean, but will run dirty no problem. They are fun rifles
Fit and finish was nice,

overall a quality gun, the first 300 made had issues with chambers being to tight but that was fixed

after posting this and looking around the web...are these rifles even made any more??? the company's website doesnt have a listing for new rifles anymore only parts and accessories...and on atlantic firearms it says they only have the new "tactical" models because the older models are discontinued...soooo maybe there goes that idea

Made or not, I don't know. Sarco is selling them though, and I was going to buy one last month for $595. They're $695 now.

http://www.sarcoinc.com/ptr91.html

I was on the fence buying it for $595 as a "holy crap that's so cheap for that rifle I can't pass it up" and took too long to make my move. $695 is closer to the standard price for these, but still cheap. If I didn't already have a battle rifle, and I was looking for a "first" one this would be it.

Last edited:
I was almost considering one until I read this in the add:

"Receivers are made of original H.K. spec .0059 steel. " [shocked]

I think I'll stick with my L1A1.

The pressure is held by the front trunion on an HK or HK clone. No problem.

Would you rather the receiver be made of Aluminum?

AR's are, and they're fairly tough, since the real "receiver" is actually the barrel extension, since it holds the pressure.

But, I'll agree with you, I do prefer the L1A1 over an HK.

Nickle said:
The pressure is held by the front trunion on an HK or HK clone. No problem.

Would you rather the receiver be made of Aluminum?

AR's are, and they're fairly tough, since the real "receiver" is actually the barrel extension, since it holds the pressure.

But, I'll agree with you, I do prefer the L1A1 over an HK.

.0059" is just a little thicker than a sheet of good writing paper.
[laugh2]
.059" is probably about the thickness of a PTR receiver.

Nickle said:
I didn't catch the typo.

I've heard several times of folks that shy away from sheet metal receivered guns "because they're dangerous". Horse puckey.

Dern tootin'
I want me one of them walnut and steel guns!
Like a low numbered Springfield '03 or even a Ross.
[rofl]

PTR 91 is a fine rifle, but I paid over 800 for mine!
Looks like I got ripped off! but I was looking at the time and could not find one for less anywhere.
HTH
Marc

Back
Top Bottom