PSK-31

So, I think that I finally have everything set up to work...theoretically. I have my radio connected to my PC...it works great with HRD, and when I use DM-780 it keys up the radio and it looks like it sends as I see it on the display.

Now, I don't know anything else. I've been reading all around and I don't really understand what I need to do to get sound levels and such set up correctly.

I've been dinking with Realtor MA a bit and we both think that we're actually to the point of getting it working. But I'm thinking that I have more configuring to do.

Anyway, I'm pretty much doing this only because I want to get this figured out because it's driving me nuts. If only just to get it going...

Anyway, figured that this might be a good place to talk about issues and things that we know or want to know about PSK-31

Last edited:
This thing is nuts but we're getting there. I know Martlet is going to step in and get us going. I soldered up an audio cable last night and managed a QSO but my signal wasn't the best. I think I just figured out how to set the final adjustments on the soundcard so I'll try that tonight.

Let's go Martlet! HAHA

I'm going to get at it again tonight to see if I can get something going. I think that Realtor MA and I are going to play around with it toinght...so mabye we can sked on 2m somewhere and talk through it...

For the record. I've got the PSK31 working. Still have to play with it a bit more so I understand it better.

Keep in mind... (and it's important) for PSK-31, you have to be careful to keep your audio levels into your transmitter down. If you over drive it, you will get distortion and that causes all sorts of issues, including degrading your signal to make it hard to copy by the receiving station, so in this case, less is more! :)

I've had only a few PSK-31 contacts, but it works amazingly well.

Keep in mind... (and it's important) for PSK-31, you have to be careful to keep your audio levels into your transmitter down. If you over drive it, you will get distortion and that causes all sorts of issues, including degrading your signal to make it hard to copy by the receiving station, so in this case, less is more! :)

I've had only a few PSK-31 contacts, but it works amazingly well.

HONK HONK HONK...LOL! That's what I just read.

I'm still trying to check the levels...and I'm not sure how to make sure everything is turned down low. I thought that it was just my soundcard volume...but that doesn't sound like it makes a difference.

Well, it's your soundcard output volume, as well as your mic level on the transmitter.

ALSO!! DO NOT turn on any compression or other mic processing!!

One school of thought is to start with all levels down (almost off), then turn things up just a bit until you start making contacts.

yes, it depends on your radio.

Mic level and power level tend to interact on a SSB radio, so keep it down (or lower) for now until you get things working.

The key to good PSK-31 performance is a clean signal. Too much audio drive will distort and cause poor performance.

A few watts should be all you need. I just sold my HF rig, but when I played with PSK-31 I ran like 10 watts. What kind of rig are you using? There should be a description in the manual of how to set the mic level for SSB and how to meter the output. Basically, you want it the level to be as high as it'll go without the ALC kicking in.

A few watts should be all you need. I just sold my HF rig, but when I played with PSK-31 I ran like 10 watts. What kind of rig are you using? There should be a description in the manual of how to set the mic level for SSB and how to meter the output. Basically, you want it the level to be as high as it'll go without the ALC kicking in.

706MKIIG

I've been reading around the Manual...but I'm not sure all the settings I need are correct. I worry about my sound card...but, when I plug in speakers...I'm getting sound out. WHen I plug in the cable for the radio...I'm getting input...and I see callsigns and such...so I know that side is working. But when I'm working with Realtor MA he's not seeing me in the waterfall. I've got another antenna in the works to try...so we'll see if it's just the wire that I have out. Or if it's the radio. I'm pretty sure that it's me and I don't know what in the hell I'm doing. LOL!

Yea, I've spoken to other people on 20m. I was talking to a guy in IL the other day. But I haven't had a lot of luck with people local...they hear me, just not very loud. But we were thinking it was the distance. But, like I said I'm working on another antenna...so we'll see. Now, it's just fighting with all the snow in my yard. Might just lay it across the fence and put the other side on the deck just to put the wire outside.

Remember, for locals, you have to keep in mind how far your ground wave signal will go, and then how close you can talk to someone via your skywave signal.

Between the two (ground wave and sky wave) there will be a dead zone. This all varies by band (frequency), time of the day, and also somewhat time of year and especially by the sunspot cycle.

Remember, for locals, you have to keep in mind how far your ground wave signal will go, and then how close you can talk to someone via your skywave signal.

Between the two (ground wave and sky wave) there will be a dead zone. This all varies by band (frequency), time of the day, and also somewhat time of year and especially by the sunspot cycle.

Here is a good diagram illustrating this 'skip zone / dead zone / silent zone' effect:

Skipzone.jpg

Source:
http://www.amateur-radio-wiki.net/index.php?title=Skip_Zone

I would like to learn more about psk-31.

I just passed the General license exam yesterday evening, so that opens up new bands to me !

In this thread I see mention made of reading "the manual".....what is this ? what "manual" are you referring to ?

I would like to learn more about psk-31.

I just passed the General license exam yesterday evening, so that opens up new bands to me !

In this thread I see mention made of reading "the manual".....what is this ? what "manual" are you referring to ?

Congrats on passing.

For PSK i use a 857D and a Signalink and have successfully used a West Mountain radio Plug and Play. Fortunately i found many youtube vids since many people use this combo.

To start, keep it simple and use a program like winpsk before you jump into HRD. I have never been able to get HRD to work but i use FLdigi with great success.

Congrats on passing.

For PSK i use a 857D and a Signalink and have successfully used a West Mountain radio Plug and Play. Fortunately i found many youtube vids since many people use this combo.

To start, keep it simple and use a program like winpsk before you jump into HRD. I have never been able to get HRD to work but i use FLdigi with great success.

Maybe I'll try this again...and see if I can play around with winpsk. I've always tried with HRD, so it might be that.

And I totally suck, I still need to get new antennas up around my house.

Back
Top Bottom