Introduction to PSK31 Ham Radio Digital Mode

Reptile

NES Member
Published on Nov 3, 2013
If you thought Ham Radio had died and gone away, you might be surprised to learn it's bigger than ever and part of the reason is how computers have been used to augment Ham Radio.In this video, In this video, I introduce the PSK31 mode of operation on Ham Radio. I don't even have a microphone connected to my radio. I communicate by typing on my computer keyboard although I don't transmit in this video. Hope you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bfCsbbxh1M
------
Who is into this?

This is amazing!

Even if the internet goes down, there is no way to stop comms.

PSK31 is great and simple. The hardest part is learning the software. I use fldigi and given that it is wicked flexible can make it more difficult to pick up.

PM me your email address and I can send you an email that an old ham out of FL sent me recently.

The problem is, you won't be able to do PSK31 on HF until you get your General ticket. You obviously can listen all day long, just not xmit.

The problem is, you won't be able to do PSK31 on HF until you get your General ticket. You obviously can listen all day long, just not xmit.

So, this might be one of the reasons to keep going on the license track. As you may have seen from the 'Tech in a day' topic, a couple of us just passed our first test. Is the General similar? In other words, would one expect to pass with a few nights of studying the questions and answers or is there serious math and formula knowledge required?
At some point soon. I'd like to actually 'LEARN the TRADE' for real. But, getting the General might open up some options...

Thanks - VT

So, this might be one of the reasons to keep going on the license track. As you may have seen from the 'Tech in a day' topic, a couple of us just passed our first test. Is the General similar? In other words, would one expect to pass with a few nights of studying the questions and answers or is there serious math and formula knowledge required?
At some point soon. I'd like to actually 'LEARN the TRADE' for real. But, getting the General might open up some options...

Thanks - VT

I struggled with exactly what you are asking. Initially, I felt the exact same way...I want to learn this stuff.

The math itself isn't hard...and honestly...there really are only 5 or so math questions and the answers are published. If you are good at electronics, that will most definitely help you on the general...that is one of my major weaknesses. Eventually, I came to the conclusion that learning can happen AFTER you get your ticket. That is true for all of the classes of license. I eventually got to the point that I studied the stuff I could grasp and memorized the stuff I couldn't. I figure that I'm not going to get into circuit design or home brew builds. There are so many other parts of the hobby that interest me...and the hardcore electronics stuff isn't one of them.

You can use the same study method you used on the Tech...in fact, the Nashua club does General-in-a-day upgrade classes periodically. The ham that does those classes is supposed to be really good. SHE knows her shit and is good at passing that knowledge on. She's even gotten kids past the tech and general. [grin]

I'm holding off on the Extra Class stuff for now. I just want to get on the air and start learning the ins and outs of the bands. The only thing that the Extra class gives you is FULL access to all bands. With the General, you are typically limited to the upper half of the bands...which is fine. You can still do data and CW on the lower sides...just phone is limited to the upper half. That really isn't a reason for me to invest the time right now.

Hope that answers your question.

Back
Top Bottom