Proxibid?

Have any of you fellow collectors tried Proxibid. This is a website that allows you to bid on live auctions across the country. You can pre-bid or bid live.

I have purchased one gun using this sight. I have mixed feelings about doing it again. The pics are not real great, the auctioneers do not know a lot about what they are selling, descriptions are minimal and everything is sold as is. Compared to sights like Gunbroker, where there are lots of pics, you can get detailed answers to questions and there is expectation that items are properly described. Proxibid would be like any other live in person auction.

Any one else try it?

It (or similar sites) are sometimes hooked up with Auction Houses where you can inspect ahead of time. If you see some thing you are interested in on the inspection, it gives you a chance to participate and therefore avoid the "I can't believe it went so low" issue. A poor but sometimes workable alternative to attending. Another minor issues is not all do a good job of labeling C&R items. Could result in an unanticipated transfer fee.

I learned a valuable lesson about Proxibid tonight. One I should have known already. Do not watch a live gun auction and drink bourbon at the same time. Damn... I hope I like it. :)

Back
Top Bottom