Proper handling etiquette when at a firearms store...

Congrats and welcome. I got my LTC last June and since have bought 5 guns from Four Seasons, I will not buy anywhere else. Carl and his crew are class acts. They do a lot of business, so expect a little wait but it is well worth it. Make sure you tell who ever is helping you that it is your first time buying and they will fill you in on everything you need to know. Like any important purchase, research is mission critical. American Firearm School in N. Attleboro and Manchester Firing Line are the two ranges that will let you rent guns. Read as much as you can about what you are looking for, post questions on this forum, take the trip to one of those ranges (make sure they rent what you are looking for first) and them head to FS when you are ready to buy. Just my opinion but I find it very hard to look at guns and if I like how something feels, not to buy it on the spot. Good Luck. Curtis

I was at bass pro on saturday. Nothing I handled had a trigger lock on it. Recent change in policy maybe?

If it was a handgun, that certainly would be a recent change in policy.

Long guns, I'm not so sure as I have never looked very closely at them.

I've never held a gun in my hands at BP. Just look at the prices of handguns, shake my head, and walk away on the rare occasion that I go in there.

I will add C&F Guns in Middleboro. It's a small shop but very packed with guns to choose from. Prices are reasonable, but not the lowest. John is a great guy and this store is the closest full gun shop near me, so I support the store as best I can.

American Firearm School in N. Attleboro and Manchester Firing Line are the two ranges that will let you rent guns.

Umm whoa. That's a little cheaper than Manchester to rent an AK!

Guess I know where I'm shooting this weekend!

I like that it's got an instructor rate too...I could probably use some additional instruction.

When in doubt, ask. Most stores won't have any problems with all of the activities you mentioned, but it never hurts to ask the salesman.

This sounds like a no brainer but I see it all the time. Dont point the gun at customers or the guys behind the counter

I swear every time I go into a gun store, at least one employee accidentally points a gun at me. Drives me nuts.

Have some idea regarding what you're looking for. If you should go to a shop and say something like, "I want to buy a gun but don't know what I want", sometimes dealers 'push' what they have a large inventory of just to get rid of them.

Do your homework and have say, two or three guns you're really interested in. This being your first purchase, I'd try to stay away from used guns also.

I swear every time I go into a gun store, at least one employee accidentally points a gun at me. Drives me nuts.

I am somewhat new to firearms and have noticed this as well. It happens at ranges where you can rent and gun stores. I am kind of surprised how cavalier some really experienced people can be.

Here's another general question, are gun shows generally good places to get deals? I know I've had pretty good luck at fly fishing shows as far as buying pretty much anything below market value, can I expect to see some of these deals at gun shows? I was looking at the marlboro/springfield ones as potentially places I could check out a large variety of firearms over the course of a day.

There is one huge advantage to gun shows in MA. There are very few FFL's in Mass., the number shrinks on a regular basis. Because of that, in many areas of the state you'll be lucky if you have one or two gunshops in your area. At gunshows there's (usually) a lot of different stores represented, and often from a part of the state where you'd never normally find yourself. If you're looking for something hard to find (common in MA with handguns and AWB mags/rifles) then it's a great way to see a ton of variety, especially if you're a newbie. For some people who've been in the gun game in Mass. for many years it's not worth it, but if you're more on the casual gun ownership end of the spectrum it's a great resource for you.

Try Northeast Trading at 580 Kelley Blvd (Rte 152) in North Attleboro, MA. Ted Oven is the owner and he and his employees are extremely helpful and knowledgable. I've bought one rifle and two pistols from them and highly recommend them. Their prices are usually the best around. Good luck with your purchase.

In addition to the other info posted in this thread on this shop, there's a funny coincidence. M1911 mentioned Nazi memorabilia at gunshows...the last time I was in NET, the kid working behind the counter invited me to a white supremacist meeting in a roundabout way. His co-workers didn't bat an eye, either. The gun I was buying was rare to Mass. and being transferred by an NES-er out of FTF's, so I still bought it, but if it had been in their inventory I would have left it on the counter.

I dont know if you got a coppy of the NRA handbook when you took the class. If you do have one bring it along and read the proper handleing section just before you go in.
Another thing you can do is find a local gun store and call them. Aks whichs days do they tend to be slower and try to see them then.
For a first timer four seasons on a saturday may seem crazy.
Another key is let the person know your a newbie.....

Go to m & m outfitters in Plymouth. They are the nicest people. Also the owner from acme armament is a really cool dude.
m&m has a nice selection of handguns and ammo. And quite a few used handguns.

Back
Top Bottom