• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Product Review Earthquake IG800W

71odZx0Do-L._SX425_.jpg

View on Amazon

I recently bought one of these generators as a backup to my EU2000i which crapped out (the EU2000i was fixed for $35 and is better now [dance]). I live 100% off grid and there are a good number of things I rely on a generator for, but I am not your typical user, so take what I say with that in mind.

Ordering
I ordered my unit for $271 but they are now up to $314 on Amazon. This generator has a cult-like following and is becoming very popular. The prices have been rising since its release here in the US.

I have Amazon prime and the unit arrived in 3 days double boxed and in perfect condition. The generator packaging is outstanding for a Chinese made device. After removing the product from the box I noticed that there was a tiny bit of fuel and oil in it which indicated it had been tested prior to shipment. I guess it could also mean that it was used and returned, but I don't think so.

The thing that impressed me the most after unpacking was the build quality. Even the screwdriver they included is of decent quality. If this had a Honda logo on it I could have been convinced. I opened the panels and looked for loose fasteners and the only thing I found was that the spark plug boot was not fully seated.

Startup
I filled the unit with gas and 10-30 oil. The oil fill on this unit is *much* better than the Honda. You can fill straight out of a standard oil bottle without spilling any. The fuel goes in the top and has a cap with mechanical vent that is more substantial than my Honda.

This unit has a primer bulb which is handy when you run out of fuel (wish my Honda had one). With the unit primed, and choked, it started with 2 pulls of the starter. In fact the entire time I have owned it, only two pulls gets it started.

Operation
My immediate need was to run the tiny Haier HLP21N washing machine. The generator performed this task perfectly. I also needed to charge some power tool batteries and my laptop both worked fine. The documentation says that this unit is a true sine wave output. I have not been able to verify this with a scope, if true it makes this unit a real deal.

The next thing I wanted to power was a small 700 watt microwave oven. I have been without a microwave for 2.5 years and I have decided to get one. Unfortunately, this generator is NOT capable of powering it....very sad. This is a perfect generator otherwise.

The last task I need a generator for is to charge the main battery bank for my house. I use an external 30 amp microprocessor controlled battery charger. The Earthquake generator powers this and uses very little gas doing it. I ran it last night for 3 hours and I could not tell that it used any fuel.

Noise Level
I have run this unit side by side with the Honda EU2000 and I can't tell the difference in noise level. The Eco-throttle does not quiet the unit to the same degree as the Honda. At low loads the Honda might be a tick quieter but not $700 quieter if you only need a few hundred watts of power.

Size & Weight
This is the units strong point. Its only about 20 pounds filled with gas and is super portable. Its about 30% larger than a 6 pack of 16oz soda bottles....the size of a small portable lunch cooler. Would make a great addition to an emergency battery box or to carry in your truck box.

Bottom Line
I highly recommend this generator for low load applications. I would say that you can power 500-550 watt loads without any problem at all. Higher loads will be hit or miss depending on the startup surge. Its a great little $300 generator.

I will post followups to this thread over time.

Last edited:
Amazon just dropped the price down to $252.22...between that and your review I'm having a tough time talking myself out of ordering it.

Thanks for the write up!

This thing is great for what it is. I'd recommend anyone on a budget, or someone that wants something to travel with get one of these. It's so freakin' small.

I have an 800 watt inverter and an extension cord that I plan to test and see if I can use to run my fridge from my car. I bet this thing is much more fuel efficient.

I'll hook it up outside next week with an electric heater plugged in and see how long it'll actually run for under load.

GomerPile or xtry51...did you track down ethanol free gas or did you put an additive in? I saw that it calls for non-ethanol gas.

Mine is still in the box....going to test it out this weekend.

Last edited:
I have an 800 watt inverter and an extension cord that I plan to test and see if I can use to run my fridge from my car. I bet this thing is much more fuel efficient.
I have a Cobra 1575 inverter I bought from Amazon 4 years ago, I have run my fridge when we lost power before I set up the house for my Generator, a shop Vac and power tools without a problem ever. I actually bought 9 of them for the work Vans...after 4 years I had 1 go bad. awesome investment to hook up to your vehicle.
View attachment 117405 View attachment 117406

Last edited:
If anyone bought one, price is now at 240$ on Amazon, just open a chat window with them and they will refund the difference. I too found the Electrician Warehouse.... place is a bit too sketchy for me. Totally crappy website, private domain registration, they only accept paypal, phone number is a voip number registered in the Chicago area, no business address listed anywhere. No thanks, I'll pass on them, not worth the 15$ difference.

My buddy bought one of the Northern Tool 1000W portables a while ago to run power equipment when away from electrical sources. The thing runs great. It was 159 bucks. The only down fall, if it even is one, is it is 2 cycle.

I ordered mine about a week ago when it was around $242. It came Wednesday but I didn't get a chance to play with it until today. I agree with pretty much everything GomerPile said. The fit and finish does seem to be really good for the price point. I installed an hour meter/tachometer I filled it up with oil and gas, opened the fuel vent, turned sitch to on, gave it some choke, primed it and it started on the second pull. I ran it for about a half an hour playing with the eco mode with a 750/1500 Watt space heater. Obviously it wouldn't run in 1500W mode.

This afternoon I topped of the gas, note to self: pour very slowly, it's only a 0.5 gallon tank, I was trying to fill to the red line to do some fuel consumption tests and I made a mess. I plugged an extension cord, my kill-a-watt, and my pellet stove. It started my pellet up no problem. Consumption peaked out around 650W while the stove was igniting the pellets. After that I put it the fan on high and it was using ~125W continuous. It's been running for over 3 hours w/o hiccup on ECO mode. I will probably shut it off before it runs out of gas tonight.

What type of (generator) wattage do you need to fire up the circulating pump a forced hot water heating system. The Taco Model# 007-F5.

What type of (generator) wattage do you need to fire up the circulating pump a forced hot water heating system. The Taco Model# 007-F5.

You'll need the circ pump plus the whole burner.

P
---
I|E

P=power
I=Amps
E=Voltage

Take your burner amps and circ pump amps multiply that by 120 and that lets you the running wattage required. Need slightly more than that for startup current on a oil burner.

Best way to determine this is to install an inline plug and receptacle on your furnace. You will need to do this if you ever want to run your furnace from a portable generator anyway. Then plug in a kill-a-watt meter inline and observe the wattage readings as your system cycles. The kill-a-watt meter won't record the surge current so your actual power needs will be a bit more. If your furnace uses more than 500 watts my guess is that this model generator is too small.

For resistive loads like a pellet stove and 750/1500 space heater you can push closer to the generators rated power since there is very little surge with those devices.

If anyone who bought one of these has a scope I would love to see the output waveform. The documentation says sine wave output....wondering if its true or not.

If you mean literally just running that circulator direct, it's about 100W. That pump is .71Amps.

If you have a wood boiler, this is a great use for the gen since the circulator is the only electrical part to your heat system that is important (gates for zones have manual bypass levers).

Back
Top Bottom