priming

gerrycaruso

NES Member
Has anyone else found that primers seat more easily on a single stage press or a hand primer than on a Dillon progressive? Occasionally I get a high primer and I can't reprime crimped 223 brass without removing the crimp if I use the Dillon but I don't have to remove the crimp if I hand prime. I think it's the very slight play in the tool head and flex in the shell plate but that's only a theory.

Has anyone else found that primers seat more easily on a single stage press or a hand primer than on a Dillon progressive? Occasionally I get a high primer and I can't reprime crimped 223 brass without removing the crimp if I use the Dillon but I don't have to remove the crimp if I hand prime. I think it's the very slight play in the tool head and flex in the shell plate but that's only a theory.
Seems like a plausible theory. Personally, I have to ream crimped Lake City even for hand priming. For any brass that has staked primer pockets, such as HXP, I can blow through the stakes with a hand primer and reaming is unnecessary.

Which Dillon press? I find the 650 works better for priming than the 550.
A call to Dillon wouldn't be a waste of time; I bet they've heard it before and have a solution. Maybe the shell plate is too loose.

My first thought was a loose shell plate but tightening until it would barely turn didn't help. I use both a 550 and a 650.

The hand primer is the Frankford Arsenal. It comes with a dozen shell holders and seems to be well built. It's my sons and I was going to buy one because it primes military 223/5.56 brass without removing the crimp and without damaging the primer but it doesn't have a shell holder for 43 Spanish. I haven't tried crimped 308 yet but I will. I can prime on the Redding single stage which does have a shell holder for 43 Spanish. I don't shoot the rolling block enough to need the volume of a progressive.

I've never used a hand priming tool.

I have used both Dillon 550 and Lee single stage presses, neither of which would easily prime crimped primer pocket brass without removing the crimp.

Some military brass with crimped pockets will reprime some of the time without removing the crimp. Radway (RORG headstamp) will usually do it 5-6 times out of ten, but that throws off the rhythm.

I just remove the crimp out of all crimped pockets as a matter of course before I start repriming.

On the Dillon 750, I've found that in *most* situations, if you rotate the case a bit,
the primers on crimped cases will seat, otherwise they get recycled.

The Armanov widget is handy.

Peter, so far I've used the Ginex primers in 4 30 cals and 43 Spanish and they've loaded as well as any other brand I've used. The problem seems to be in the equipment rather than brand of primer.

I cut all the primer crimps out with a Weldon deburring bit. I've had no problem on the Dillon 650 I have at home, or the Super 1050 at my shop.

On the other hand, the Hornady LNL progressive is a shit show when it comes to priming.

Back
Top Bottom