Primer question.

This is my first batch of reloads. I picked up some primers today. I didn't notice until I got home that they are CCI small pistol magnum primers. I am going to be reloading 40S&W with a very light load. Is there a difference in what I need to do with magnums vs standards? The reloading books don't make mention of a recipe adjustment with different primers.

I am new to reloading and asking to stay safe.

Thanks,

What is the "very large difference"?

I'm not recommending, it but I ended up with some mag primers and I was out of SP so I used them in my .40 (fully supported barrel not a Glock!) and I couldn't tell a difference, got no pressure signs, the sky didn't fall down over the range or anything. Again, not recommending it, that was just my experience, and it echoed what I had been told by some very experienced shooters that it wasn't a huge, huge deal. Use your head... and a chrono.

Last edited:
This is my first batch of reloads. I picked up some primers today. I didn't notice until I got home that they are CCI small pistol magnum primers. I am going to be reloading 40S&W with a very light load. Is there a difference in what I need to do with magnums vs standards? The reloading books don't make mention of a recipe adjustment with different primers.

I am new to reloading and asking to stay safe.

Thanks,

Only been doing it for almost a year and when it says SMALL PISTOL you cannot add MAGNUM and be safe. Don't F around with the recipes. You may injure or kill yourself but you will also be putting others in grave danger.

Save the Magnum for a load that calls for it and read the labels more carefully.

Save the Magnum for a load that calls for it and read the labels more carefully.

That's what I am going to do. I have read on a couple other sites that they can be used, but you really need to know what you are doing. Which I obviously don't, but I am learning. They also mentioned them being used in sub-zero temperatures.

This just means another trip to the gun store [smile]

There is a substantial difference in the temperature, duration and brisance of the flame produced by a "magnum" primer over a "standard" primer.

What effect using a magnum primer where it is not called for produces when the round is fired depends on the powder used, the load used, and the fraction of the case that is occupied by the powder. The effects range from "jeekers, I didn't notice any difference" to "KABOOM!." Without knowing more detail, I don't think anyone could offer a prediction in your case, and even with all of the details, I don't think any prudent person would offer a prediction. Bag the loads with the wrong primer and start again.

I didn't get that far. I noticed the wording when I got home and took them out of the bag. Fortunately.........

That makes the decision easy; save the "magnum" primers for the day you elect to try a load that requires them. (It will happen one of these days.)

Back
Top Bottom