PPC at MVGC this Friday 2-12-10

clerk.mvgc

NES Member
MVGC will host a PPC match this Friday 2-12-10 at 7pm. PPC is a 60 round match shot from the ports in standing, kneeling, sitting and prone positions. New shooters are welcome! You'll need 60 rounds, eye and ear protection, a proper holster and mag pouches, 3 mags or speedloaders. Fee is $7.00, $5.00 paid back in prizes via the Lewis system to keep the playing field even.

We'll also running a snubbie side match. 50 rounds, same course of fire but all at the large targets with a 5 shot true snubbie revolver.

PPC info and course of fire can be found here:
http://www.mvgunclub.com/ppc.htm

Mystic Valley Gun Club
146 Canal St
Malden, MA
www.mvgunclub.com

Bill... while your there can you inquire from the people running the match as to whether they would be interested in running a PPC stage at the John Kelly Match? Thanks.

Will do, but a single PPC string might be pretty boring and the entire course of fire takes almost an hour.
We'll have to find a way to make it interesting.

PPC Course of Fire:
String 1: Freestyle @ 21 ft, 6 rounds, reload, 6rounds. 24 seconds.
String 2: 50 ft, 6 rounds kneeling, 6 rounds strong hand, 6 rounds weak hand. 90 seconds.
String 3: 50 ft, 6 rounds sitting, 6 rounds prone. 60 seconds.
String 4: 50 ft, 6 rounds strong hand, 6 rounds weak hand. 60 seconds.
String 5: 50 ft, 6 rounds freestyle, 12 seconds.

We'll have to find a way to make it interesting.

For sure... maybe pick one string, looks like String 2 has a little bit of a challenge. For the overall match we should probably do just one stage of each discipline with a stage round count of around 20 rounds, give or take a couple, so if we do 6 stages the total round count will be in the neighborhood of 120. Steel Challenge, for example, is five strings of 5 shots each so it is at least 25 rounds (assuming no misses). We can offset that with a shorter IDPA, indoor or USPSA stage. Walls of Steel may have around 25 targets, give or take a few, and there will likely be quite a few make-up shots on that stage.

For PPC do the shooters shoot on a line all at the same time? Typical police training is conducted that way and it would be a new experience for a lot of shooters if they have never fired a sting with people on either side of them, in relatively close quarters, also firing. If we do this at the Kelly Match it will move that stage along nicely where you can knock out several shooters at once. I assume the scoring is based on target hits and no extra credit is given for using less time?

For sure... maybe pick one string, looks like String 2 has a little bit of a challenge. For the overall match we should probably do just one stage of each discipline with a stage round count of around 20 rounds, give or take a couple, so if we do 6 stages the total round count will be in the neighborhood of 120. Steel Challenge, for example, is five strings of 5 shots each so it is at least 25 rounds (assuming no misses). We can offset that with a shorter IDPA, indoor or USPSA stage. Walls of Steel may have around 25 targets, give or take a few, and there will likely be quite a few make-up shots on that stage.

For PPC do the shooters shoot on a line all at the same time? Typical police training is conducted that way and it would be a new experience for a lot of shooters if they have never fired a sting with people on either side of them, in relatively close quarters, also firing. If we do this at the Kelly Match it will move that stage along nicely where you can knock out several shooters at once. I assume the scoring is based on target hits and no extra credit is given for using less time?

Yes, each string(we do 10 at a time) shoots on a line at the same time. The scoring is done based on hitting the target. No credit is given for fast shooting. Those that shoot slowly are MUCH more likely to do better.

Yes, 7 or 8 shooters in each relay, start loaded in holster. On the bell, draw and shoot. Stop shooting on the next bell. It is an accuracy event, like bullseye. I was thinking String 2 would be a good test although String 3 is challenging as well. I find my sight picture is much different shooting prone. Most action shooters rarely shoot from sitting or prone positions.
You should try to attend this event Friday night. It is a humbling experience. What is really amazing is how long 90 seconds is.

The only issue I see here is scoring. IDPA, IPCS, Steel Challenge all use a combo of time and hits to make up the score. PPC uses only a score. You could add all thre speed shooting disciplines to gether and the lowest score would win. If you add in the PPC score the best PPC score would not work with the other 3 disciplines. Unless some one had a idea of how to score this. I hope someone can figure this out.

The only issue I see here is scoring. IDPA, IPCS, Steel Challenge all use a combo of time and hits to make up the score. PPC uses only a score. You could add all thre speed shooting disciplines to gether and the lowest score would win. If you add in the PPC score the best PPC score would not work with the other 3 disciplines. Unless some one had a idea of how to score this. I hope someone can figure this out.

Instead of counting points for PPC, we could count points down multiplied by some fudge factor.
i.e.
fudge factor: 0.2
Dave scores his usual 565 = 35 points down = 7.0 for the PPC string.
My average lately: 515 = 85 points down = 17.0 for PPC

Instead of counting points for PPC, we could count points down multiplied by some fudge factor.
i.e.
fudge factor: 0.2
Dave scores his usual 565 = 35 points down = 7.0 for the PPC string.
My average lately: 515 = 85 points down = 17.0 for PPC

I lost my mind for a minute, we won't be shooting a whole match.
For a single string maybe a Fudge Factor = 1.0 might be more appropriate.

Lord1234, your handicap is the pistol in your hand.[smile]

Yes, each string(we do 10 at a time) shoots on a line at the same time. The scoring is done based on hitting the target. No credit is given for fast shooting. Those that shoot slowly are MUCH more likely to do better.

I like it... This will be doing something different - the folks that shoot a lot of USPSA and IDPA will have to slow down to score well - that alone should make it a challenge. As far as scoring goes I'm sure we can figure something out. Hopefully we can get some experienced PPC people to volunteer to run the stage - I'm sure we will.

hell, who knows, i might actually give dave a run for his money tonight. even got a fancy shmancy new wheelie to play with tonight :)

come early guys. LOTS of leftover food, dont want it to go bad!

Back
Top Bottom