Power Sources

It seems as though a lot of discussion was put into generators and transfer switches in the event of loosing power for short term and long term. While this is a great short term solution, if the SHTF for any real disaster, I will certainly not be in a situation where gasoline or diesel will be easy to get or cheap.

It got me thinking. A few years back during Katrina, I couldn't even find a 5+ gallon gas tank at any store. Prices flared up to near $4 a gallon and some people stockpiled fuel. The entire fuel infrastructure in the south crumbled and fuel was hard to get. Compounding the problem is the electricity requirement to get gas pumps to work.

With a roof full of solar panels and a battery storage unit, you could live nearly indefinetly with normal amounts of power given the right setup. While it may be more expensive, it would also save money during the year to help offset the cost difference between a decent sized wired in generator (~$5k) and solar panels (~$20k).

Anyone looked into this as a viable and permanent solution?

Yes. But the cost of a complete solar power system tends to be roughly around the same cost (if not more) as getting electricity off the grid for the estimated lifetime of the solar power system. Powering a normal modern house by solar is challenging. Most houses heat water with electricity and also need quite a lot of electricity to power parts of the heating system (even if you have oil/gas... the blower for forced hot air uses a lot of power). And the batteries are bulky and wear out faster, needing replacement. I haven't been willing or able to spend that much.

As an alternative, I've been hoping to get a small solar powered setup someday, one that would not be used to power heaters. Just some lights, radios, or maybe a single electric burner for cooking (in case the propane for the grill ran out). I'm not sure what the best wattage would be for such a setup, but of course the more the better. I'd need much less batteries too. If I did this, I'd just plug things directly into it and not have it wired into the house. Having less panels draws less attention to myself too.

I've always wanted a piece of property witha stream/river where I can set up a micro-hydro system. I think the cost per watt is quite a bit less than solar.

I wonder if a coal/wood fired boiler would be a practical source of steam to turn a generator. The fuel would be easy to stockpile for long term use and the secondary use of steam for heating could be useful.

Jack

Anyone looked into this as a viable and permanent solution?

Yes. And as Prepper said it's challenging. Keeping your house on the grid and filling your roof with panels is a good idea if you have the $$ for the investment. The grid can power the furnace and solar can power everything else.

They have boxes that will allow you to push power back in to the grid when your batteries are fully charged and most power companies will credit you on what you push back. Depending on how much you push back the regular electric bill might be nominal.

Alternative Energy Solutiion

For those of you who live near Highways and heavely traveled roads.

Simply run some Pnumatic Hose accross the Highway. It is inconspicous as the DOT does it all the time. If anyone askes tel them your taking a traffic survey.

At one end. Plug the Hose with a check valve

At the Other End: Connect it to a Diaphram Pump.

Use the Air to fill a large volume Air tank and then use the Accumulated Air to operate a generator using an Air driven motor.

How About That!

When all the cars run over the air hose they will pump you up!

This is MY ORIGNAIL IDEA> ![rofl][laugh2][laugh2]

Anyone up for testing it ?

I wonder if a coal/wood fired boiler would be a practical source of steam to turn a generator. The fuel would be easy to stockpile for long term use and the secondary use of steam for heating could be useful.

Jack

Absolutely. Especially if there isn't anything else.

Lister(-oid) diesel engine and a generator head make a pretty damn nice setup. I'll probably be doing that myself as soon as I have a permanent location for it.

Add 2-3 extra injectors & wear parts, some stiff cardboard or wood for making gaskets, and a few spare parts, and you can burn oil, fat, grease, and probably alcohol-fortified urine from now until the world ends. They're ridiculously rugged (continuous use ratings measured in YEARS), VERY easy to fix, and require only minimal training and mechanical ability to maintain.

...Just don't try to modify or stop the flywheel.[shocked]

Last edited:
Last edited:
This is how I see solar as a viable perm solution:

If the SHTF in any real way, I'm not expecting my quality of life to remain at the current levels. I don't need my TV to work, my furnace to be on all the time or hot water to be coming out of my faucet.

With a wood stove, I'll have indefinite heat and hot water. The rest of the non-essentials (lights, radio, CB, HAM) should also be powered by an indefinite power source. Solar seems the best option with a small battery of deep cycle batteries (they DO last a long time, 5+ years and are very inexpensive). That would provide enough power to sustain a fairly comfortable existence completely off the grid with occasional power tool usage (understanding that more usage = less night time light). Moreso, I need power for my well pump. With a simple monitor circuit, I could manually regulate my power usage to make sure there is always enough to fill up my pressure tank with H20.

I get about 3 months max out of a tank of oil. If 'it' DOES really ever hit the fan, I want to be confident that I'm not relying on someone else for comfortable and sustainable living conditions.

I'll be designing my garage/addition this spring facing south with lots of glass and stone flooring in front of the windows to try to gain as much passive solar heating as possible. I'm also in the brainstorming process of heat reclaimation from the existing furnace and shower drain water.

I'll be designing my garage/addition this spring facing south with lots of glass and stone flooring in front of the windows to try to gain as much passive solar heating as possible. I'm also in the brainstorming process of heat reclaimation from the existing furnace and shower drain water.

Very good idea. The sun coming through the large window on my first floor usually heats that floor to almost 70 degrees in the winter.

Most scenarios are going to be short in duration. Probably less than a week. A small generator will meet those needs. My gen usage is actually based on the type of disaster. If it is an ice storm or other fairly short disaster I run the genny 2 -3 times a day for about an hour each time. If it is going to be a couple of weeks it is once a day for an hour to keep the freezer cold. Longer than that i.e TEOTWAWKI. It is once a week to fill the water barrels and take a hot shower. Time of year and weather change these.

I am making a small portable solar system. 1 110W panel and 1 or 2 lead acid or AGM batts on a small cart. This is enough to keep in lights and a radio.

We heat with wood and I have propane to cook on if the woodstove is not on.

I am also making a well bucket so we dont have to rely on the genny.

For me lighting is the only thing I really want to keep electric. Candles and lamps are nice but I worry about these with little ones running around. Might add a small refrigerator also as it helps preserve food but ice boxes or a Crosley Icy Ball are alternatives there.

SOFCs

I'm holding out for one of these:

http://www.acumentrics.com/products-fuel-cell-home-energy.htm

Fuel cell furnace that generates power, then channels the heat off the exhaust gas. Whole thing sits in your basement.

Great idea, but now for the reality of SOFCs. You need either a source of methane or hydrogen as the fuel in order for the unit to generate electric. Inside your house might be a little dangerous as small leaks can be "interesting". Oh by the way for the heat, the reaction to produce electric runs for most SOFCs in the neighborhood of 7-800 degrees C, a bit hotter than your oil or gas fired boiler. The biggest problems with these units today are the membranes between the fuel source and where the reaction takes place in the unit and the ceramic box needed to contain the heat of the reaction. 1KW units were predicted to be ready for home use now, but I really haven't seen any on the commercial market. These units could make centrally generated power a thing of the past, in fact you would have a grid composed of every home with a unit.

Back
Top Bottom