• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

POTA/IOTA DXpedition July 6-18 2023

I'll start it off: FIVE UP!

Seriously though, this is worth trying. I didn't bother with that DXpedition earlier this year because it was a low probability I could hit it, and it sounded like a gathering of lids.

Also seriously, "they" should do a PSA on how to work split. It's not common and I bet most people who hear someone yelling "FIVE UP" have no idea what it means.

Also seriously, "they" should do a PSA on how to work split. It's not common and I bet most people who hear someone yelling "FIVE UP" have no idea what it means.

Not a lot of sympathy from me.

If someone is calling on the DX frequency and hears no other stations other than people repeatedly saying, “He’s listening up,” this despite the fact the DX is continuously answering calls, then that someone should be able to figure out something is wrong and shut up and listen for a while.

Although truthfully the people playing frequency cop are often more interference than help.

🐯

Not a lot of sympathy from me.

If someone is calling on the DX frequency and hears no other stations other than people repeatedly saying, “He’s listening up,” this despite the fact the DX is continuously answering calls, then that someone should be able to figure out something is wrong and shut up and listen for a while.

Although truthfully the people playing frequency cop are often more interference than help.

🐯
If you are on the DX Cluster, many times it'll be on there too...Sometimes it's called QSX (+5, +10, etc). The hardest thing for me to deal with is when they are working split and it will say "listening up 5-15 KHz" so it's a crap shoot. You have to plop your transmit frequency somewhere between those frequencies and hope for the best. To my mind, I don't think it's the most efficient use of frequency spectrum plus is causes a lot of interference for others trying to use the frequencies for simplex frequencies that are not part of the DX-pedition .

If you are on the DX Cluster, many times it'll be on there too...Sometimes it's called QSX (+5, +10, etc). The hardest thing for me to deal with is when they are working split and it will say "listening up 5-15 KHz" so it's a crap shoot. You have to plop your transmit frequency somewhere between those frequencies and hope for the best. To my mind, I don't think it's the most efficient use of frequency spectrum plus is causes a lot of interference for others trying to use the frequencies for simplex frequencies that are not part of the DX-pedition .

I understand your points but note that it is pretty standard operating procedure for rare DXpeditions, and I actually enjoy the hunt and switching VFOs to see if I can find where they were last listening and get an edge. Now the question of whether a station is rare enough and the pile up great enough to move to split operation, and where to place it within the band, is trusted to the judgment of the DXpedition operators. I think for the most part they do a good job. I can remember operations in the past where they have had band plans documented months in advance and tried to stick to them conditions allowing.

Also for somewhere rare with hundreds of stations calling them at once your scenario above of 10 kHz of spectrum is not at all unreasonable given that is less than the clear bandwidth of five SSB transmissions. (Another win for CW [banana])

🐯

Just a few moments ago TZ4AM calling on 21.337MHz he was clearly and repeatedly stating he was listening up 5kHz, but still a number of stations (Italian mostly) calling on his frequency.

I have Mali confirmed for 15m CW but not for Phone, so I decided to give him a shout and got him on the second call. [rockon]

🐯

Back
Top Bottom