Police/fire scanner

CJMAC

NES Member
Hi All, my father in law just told me he wants to get a police scanner. He always had one and used to listen to it constantly. It's been years so just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction in regards to a good model.

Thanks

Scannermaster.com is the best source for scanners and information and they are local (Holliston). Nice people and they know the scanner business.

- - - Updated - - -

The phone apps are fine if you dont have a scanner but they do not compare

Hi All, my father in law just told me he wants to get a police scanner. He always had one and used to listen to it constantly. It's been years so just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction in regards to a good model.

Thanks

If you are really going to get one. Only one GREAT place to go: Scanner Master

1. Address: 260 Hopping Brook Rd, Holliston, MA 01746

Phone:(508) 474-6880

https://www.youtube.com/user/policescannermaster

The antenna is more important than the sensitivity of the scanner's receiver. The higher the antenna the better.

Ideal: Roof mounted antenna
Pretty good: Antenna in attic
Poor: telescoping antenna on the scanner.

The antenna is more important than the sensitivity of the scanner's receiver. The higher the antenna the better.

Ideal: Roof mounted antenna
Pretty good: Antenna in attic
Poor: telescoping antenna on the scanner.

Agreed the Antenna is very important.

You will Also find the best selection of Antennas and knowledge at Scanner Master!

Wow that was fast. I mentioned the apps, I told him I could put an app on his iPad. Nothing doin, he said no. I think he wants a handheld one so he can take it outside with him.

Also worth noting, they shut down scanner apps during real emergencies. Marathon Martial Law event etc... Plus there is a delay with the apps.

actually they tend to switch to encrypted comms, cellphones, and/or different (sometimes programmed on the fly) talkgroups that the scanner being monitored by the app isn't programmed for. This latter is what they did during the Marathon bomber all night search. You had to do some searching to find the new talkgroups where all the action was.

Start here and read the next 25 or so posts by cja1987 and RKG in this thread. Good luck.

I'm not an expert on radios and scanning by any means whatsoever. I have owned multiple scanners for 10+ years and used/use radios for my job so I know enough to get me in trouble.

Here is my .02.

If you can swing a digital scanner, absolutely get one. I recommend the GRE PSR-500, Radio Shack PRO-197 or Uniden BCD366XT. Yes all of those will cost you either side of $400. Except for Troop B in western MA, there is no widespread push to digital in MA however, its always possible. NH police both state, local and county are ALL digital so if you ever travel there, well worth it. CT State PD all digital and Maine is implementing a statewide digital trunking system for many agencies. In the long term for best preparedness, go digital. Sell that gun or 2 you are sick of if you have to but its a worthwhile investment.

Digital Scanner does not mean something with a screen and buttons as some have implied in some threads. It refers to the fact that it is capable of picking up a digital signal vs an analog signal. Cant stress this enough. Any digital is going to be north of $350. Quality analogs and even analog trunking scanners can be had for $100-$200

I heard alot of misconceptions about analog vs digital vs encryption vs scrambling, etc. NOTHING during this SHTF event of any significance on the police side (excluding feds) was any kind of encrypted. Sometimes they moved to channels that whatever feed you happened to be listening to were not monitoring or were out of range due to being on a different system, patches, etc. The feds (excluding mil air stuff) have been heavily encrypted for quite a while.

Digital DOES NOT equal encryption. A few tactical channels used during this are indeed digital but operate in the clear. One of the scanners mentioned above will pick them up. Digital audio is generally better than analog and very little static, its an "on or off" situation. Digital signal fade sounds kind of like digital encryption, kind of like nails on chalkboard combinded with birds chirping if you ask me. Generally though, digital audio is awesome, you either get nothing at all or it sounds like the person is sitting right next to you. Digital, however, does make encryption ALOT easier for the agency should they pay for the option. Analog encryption causes total loss of understanding by a scanner and a major degradation in the voice quality for even the people whos radios have the codes and are the intended recipients of the traffic. Hence the term "scrambled" it affects scanner world and the cops though scannerland is totally shut out. However, there are also ways around analog encryption if you care enough and want to buy the equipment. Digital encryption, you would need a very expensive radio and a supercomputer running for about a week to find the right code. When the code is rolling and can change every few hours, every day, etc, its an impossible endeavor.

In MA, that I know of, 2 towns run digital AND encrypted: Haverhill and Mansfield. So if you live there, fire only for the locals. Some towns are digital and in the clear but not sure which ones off hand. The State Police run a pretty nice statewide trunking system which I explain a little bit below. Many (all?) Cape Cod Police and Fire are also on the system. It covers all of MA except Berkshire County and some of Franklin but that is changing as we speak.

The vast majority of local PD, including the city of Boston are on conventional frequencies. Analog and unencrypted. 1 Frequency for each channel. Boston has many different channels (freqs) for different areas of the city as well as special events/operations/detectives. The only encrypted people in Boston are some detectives and a "command channel". Nothing of significance was put on those all week they seem to be more for drug raids/homicide detectives, etc.

Large scale events like we just saw tend to actually be not encrypted because the many agencies involved also rely on scanners or dont have radios capable of accepting the encryption keys.

Boston Police have a few repeaters but all are within the city limits. I believe the largest and most powerful is on top of Prudential. I dont have much luck picking them up directly outside 128. With a roof mounted antenna or even a mobile antenna on a vehicle, you could probably pull them in from about 60 and 35 miles out respectively in my experience. Range will depend on not only distance but the power level of the repeater and the elevation of the repeater and the terrain between you and the repeater. In heavily mountainous NH for example, its not abnormal to hear Troop F (northernmost Troop) booming in from just north of Boston. Ditto for most of their state police repeaters and large regional fire dispatch repeaters. They broadcast at very high power from high on mountain tops. In MA, everything is more local and covers smaller areas so the repeaters tend to be at lower power and lower elevation.

So what was the most useful thing for this past week? By far, the MA State Police Trunked System. A basic description of trunking: you have multiple sites (repeaters) in a linked system (microwave or VOIP backbone, usually). In MA they have zones and multiple repeaters make up a zone. These repeaters share a pool of frequencies and a control channel. A user in the system has a radio tuned to a certain virtual channel called a "talkgroup". When they key up, the system know what channel they are on and the control channel (operated by a computer) picks out a frequency. All radios that are on that talkgroup automatically go to that freq that the computer selected. Benefits of the system are many but you ultimately use less RF spectrum because you dont have an entire frequency just for something like DPW that hardly ever uses it. The number of frequencies allocated to a zone depends on how busy and how much traffic that zone carries. Head spinning yet? Probably not, alot of smart people here and many IT types. Its all pretty easy once you understand it.

So for metro Boston, its Zone 5 and Zone 1. Zone 1 is really just inside Boston proper. However, Zone 5 has multiple linked repeaters from Brockton up to NH border and inside 495. A huge chunk of eastern MA. All Boston traffic is carried on Zone 5. Thats a huge group of people that can now hear Troop H which covers Boston (the talkgroup is H Patrol 1). From there, there were multiple spec ops "SOPS" talkgroups being used and carried on Zone 5. Patches were being run from these State Police SOPS channels to the active channels from Boston PD, Cambridge PD and Watertown PD, among others. There was a unified command post "UCC" and every agency had a channel on their radio that they could turn to that was patched into it. Basically if you could hear H Patrol 1 and all the SOPS Talkgroups you were golden all week. You knew everything outside agencies, Boston and State were doing. We and certainly I can be very critical of the police on here and often times, rightfully so. However, we should not let that detract from the fact that the coordination of this event from a communications and logistics standpoint was nothing short of spectacular. I should note as a frequent listener, it is ALWAYS this way for any big event. They use the technology they have extremely well. They take complete advantage of the state police system and use it to its full potential. People are usually very calm and command and control in hostile, chaotic environments is and was top notch. Trust me, there are plenty of places in this country who would not have had a clue what to do from a command/comms perspective, big cities included. So many places would just be total radio chaos, comms breakdown and no unified response. The coordination here between literally hundreds of agencies was remarkable. For all the bad they are capable of, the cops still deserve a huge pat on the back for at the very least the command/control/comms aspect of this entire week. Leaving the debate over other decisions/actions for another thread(s) ...

Everything you wanted to know and more about the state police trunking sytem. Click on zones to see maps of repeater sites, etc. Also shows which talkgroups are carried on which zones. Note the frequencies listed here might be out of date due to rebanding but the 2nd link is up to date. Talkgroups are still correct.

Mass State Police Statewide Trunking System

Everything that is known and that you would ever want to know about scanning in ALL of New England:

Scan New England Wiki

Forums at the above are great as well!

So, alot of NES'ers are still out of range of Boston directly or state police zones that will carry Boston traffic. Well obviously, your concern wont always be Boston but by virtue of the fact that its the major target around here, often when SHTF that will be ground zero. Whats the solution? I suggest that ALOT more NES'ers should be buying scanners. I already see that sentiment all over the place here and other threads this week. From there, we have plenty of tech types, we should set up some means of feeding our personal scanner audio online TO THE NES COMMUNITY ONLY! Some kind of private, password site or green member area. These feeds can be active all the time or only when SHTF. It could even be as rudimentry as somebody skyping into some kind of live stream, etc. This does not have to be crazy technical like interfacing a scanner with a soundcard, etc. This way we would have a much more reliable way of keeping things up and running that only our community has access to. We would also have full control over what is broadcast. Plenty of the online feeds out there today, if you can even find them working, were still blasting out routine traffic stops far out on the pike for example. Thats the kind of stuff you can easily lock out if you have control over it. If they switch freqs/talkgroups, its easy enough to program em up on the fly once you know what you are doing or switch to a scan list/bank that has them. It all sounds complicated but if you can run a computer and post here, a scanner is childs play once you get the hang of it. The harder part, IMO, is understanding all the systems you are monitoring and what you need to do specific to them.

As for the future of scanning. Who knows when LE will go to much more sophisticated systems that either cant be monitored by scanner technology (Its already happening someplaces, see ProVoice however, linux decoders have been developed but its involved) or are intentionally encrypted. I think we are sitting pretty good in MA. Our newest and most expensive statewide trunking system is mostly in the clear and analog (western MA digital and in the clear). I dont think there is any appetite for changing it anytime soon. For once, slow change in this state is a good thing. Another encouraging sign is places like NH, entirely digital and have the option to easily encrypt everything at the push of a button. They dont!!! Hopefully more follow that lead and NH stays that way!!! Also another good thing, if you know anything about policing in MA, dispatch centers and even officers on the street trying to get a jump on mutual aid calls to other towns rely HEAVILY on scanners. In MA we are not regionalized with our dispatch centers so the easiest way to get info quickly is to scan many agencies directly as an avg joe or somebody involved in public safety.

My final thoughts for now: Base Scanner or Handheld, its all good. One will not pick up signals with stock antenna better than another all else equal. I suggest you have at minimum a handheld and a base. I suggest having even more than 2. The more you have, the less you miss. If you can only get 1 though, get a good handheld with tons of extra batteries on hand. I had 3 scanners going during most of this and a few other portable radios I have capable of scanning. Even I was missing stuff. You will always want and be able to use more, just like guns or ammo. A handheld is always good for "bugging out". Who knows what will force you from your home, fire, evac, whatever. Its nice to be able to put one in your pocket and know what the hell is going on. Its alot harder to haul a desktop scanner out the door with you. A less expensive/involved way to extend range is to buy a quality magnetic mount vehicle antenna. The entire roof acts as a "ground plane" and helps pull in signals a little better. I find I can extend my receiving range by 10-30 miles when in the vehicle. If you wanna go all out, you are looking at lots of money for a good roof antenna and quality COAX cable plus time or money installing it/getting it installed + looking at an ugly antenna on your roof. The antenna on roof is generally overkill unless you are into HAM radio or a real scanner junkie. I'm not, I have too many other obligations and so does most everyone else. I think all our main thoughts are on SHTF/being able to get a jump on info to protect ourselves/families.

All that crap aside, ANYTHING is better than nothing. If you can afford just a $30 crappy used analog scanner, buy it!!! It would be worth its weight in gold if you lived in Watertown today. All transmissions would have been right on top of you and easily picked up. If you have no other options, you can always simply throw in all the trunked voice channels in your zone. You will hear everything and not be able to discriminate amongst talkgroups but you will get the gist of whats going on and then some. Also, even an unprogrammed scanner can be quite useful if shit is going down in your own neighborhood. Many have a "close call" feature that finds the strongest signal and broadcasts it every time.

So if you cant go all out, ANYTHING is better than nothing and could be extremely valuable.

My writing style is "all over the place" and not always concise in cause you guys have ever noticed so if you want clarification on anything, help programming a scanner, finding the right freqs/talkgroups or anything else, I will try to answer. You will never kick yourself for buying a scanner, ever. When you want them, you WANT them and you want them (and even NEED them) NOW!

Good Place to Window Shop or Buy:
http://www.scannermaster.com/

Last edited:
actually they tend to switch to encrypted comms, cellphones, and/or different (sometimes programmed on the fly) talkgroups that the scanner being monitored by the app isn't programmed for. This latter is what they did during the Marathon bomber all night search. You had to do some searching to find the new talkgroups where all the action was.
I was listening online until they shut it down that night. Motivated me to buy the scanner. Didn't know they had switched channels. I thought they requested that the link be taken down.

I was listening online until they shut it down that night. Motivated me to buy the scanner. Didn't know they had switched channels. I thought they requested that the link be taken down.

yeah they used a bunch of talkgroups I'd never seen come up before, but I routinely search for those and was able to hear the good stuff throughout the night and next day. Unless the guy whose scanner is feeding the app did the same, you'd rightly assume they shut him down or something.

I have the Bearcat 996 for home use and a portable Bearcat 396. I used Freescan to program the portable initially but when I got teh 996 for home I had trouble programming it. Now I use ProScan and have no problems with either unit.

No they don't use encrypted when dealing with interagency comms, as they can't all talk to each other if they did that.

I listened to the entire fiasco including all the "shoot-em-ups" they did in Watertown and it was on an old analog Realistic PRO-2021 scanner.

I have the Bearcat 996 for home use and a portable Bearcat 396. I used Freescan to program the portable initially but when I got teh 996 for home I had trouble programming it. Now I use ProScan and have no problems with either unit.

I bought the 996XT but was never really successful in setting it up. It's back in the box and I'll eventually advertise it for sale. I replaced it with the BCD536HP which I find much easier to setup thanks to someone here who posted the file which I was able to customize to a point.

The HomePatrol series makes it easy, just plug in your zip code and it's pre programmed with what is available in your area. This place had the best price when I got mine. https://www.bearcatwarehouse.com/scanners/digital/home-patrol-series.html Have also seen U-Do-t Electronics in Needham be competitive at times, having something on sale.

My brother has a home patrol. it is great if you just want to listen to everything in the area. The computer programming interface is decent. I don't like it because it is to hard to control from the unit itself and it does not pick up as good as my PRO-95 in side by side tests.
The new Whistler scanners are built on the old Radio Shack platform (GRE) and are a lot easier to program by hand and once you learn how to use it you can quickly lock onto just 1 frequency or talk group.

One really cool feature of the home patrol is being able to replay the last few transmissions.
That cheap scanner someone referenced above is going to be close to useless as most everyone uses trunked radio today.

If he is serious I would call or go to Scanner Master.

I like my Uniden Homepatrol. But it's pricey.

My brother has a home patrol. it is great if you just want to listen to everything in the area. The computer programming interface is decent. I don't like it because it is to hard to control from the unit itself and it does not pick up as good as my PRO-95 in side by side tests.
The new Whistler scanners are built on the old Radio Shack platform (GRE) and are a lot easier to program by hand and once you learn how to use it you can quickly lock onto just 1 frequency or talk group.

One really cool feature of the home patrol is being able to replay the last few transmissions.
That cheap scanner someone referenced above is going to be close to useless as most everyone uses trunked radio today.

If he is serious I would call or go to Scanner Master.

I really one one. They have version 2 now.

When I was 17 I bought a $500 Uniden 200XLT.

Whole months salary.

I used to be a scanner pro - now I can't even program.

I need the easy button and it seems to be the Home Patrol.

I listen to my local PD on my Baofeng UV-5R. It doesn't scan, but if you know the local frequency, you can listen in. I have a couple of nearby towns programmed in and I tend to turn it on during bad weather, or if I know there is something going on in town.

It's best if you have the CHIRP program and a cable to program it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007H4VT7A?keywords=baofeng uv5r&qid=1456403656&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Again, it's not a scanner. The range, at least for listening, is pretty good. I have listened to my local PD while sitting in a parking lot about 30 miles outside of town.

I also use a UV-5R. It picks up my town just fine.

I don't believe the scanner apps were "shut down" during the marathon shitstorm. I think it's more likely the server was overloaded. My what I understand, someone sets up their scanner and feeds the server with an uplink. That feed is simply shared. There's nobody around to turn it off. It's unmanned and only attended when there's a problem.

I run my old Realistic Pro-2021, programmed only with my local PD and FD and my Uniden BCD536HP set for a radius of ~30 miles for everything else, both at the same time. It's amazing all the things you can learn about what goes on around you and never see/hear on the MSM. If I ever get "priority without interruption" to work properly on the 536, I'll probably retire the 2021. I also have the Uniden BCD436HP (portable) so that if I need to take it portable I have the ability (like out in bad storm, etc.) but it rarely gets used.

I listen to my local PD on my Baofeng UV-5R. It doesn't scan, but if you know the local frequency, you can listen in. I have a couple of nearby towns programmed in and I tend to turn it on during bad weather, or if I know there is something going on in town.

It's best if you have the CHIRP program and a cable to program it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007H4VT7A?keywords=baofeng uv5r&qid=1456403656&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Again, it's not a scanner. The range, at least for listening, is pretty good. I have listened to my local PD while sitting in a parking lot about 30 miles outside of town.
You can make a UV-5r scan but it is not very good at it. It also wont help on trunked systems.

If i were buying another scanner right now and didn't need digital I would buy a used Pro-93 or Pro-95.

Last edited:
I also use a UV-5R. It picks up my town just fine.

I don't believe the scanner apps were "shut down" during the marathon shitstorm. I think it's more likely the server was overloaded. My what I understand, someone sets up their scanner and feeds the server with an uplink. That feed is simply shared. There's nobody around to turn it off. It's unmanned and only attended when there's a problem.

Forgive me if my questions seem dumb, I know next to nothing about radios and scanners. My only experience is using a CB and I have a set of GMRS radios that I used to use with the wife at large fairs and such, until I always had a cell phone.

That said, I have been considering getting a scanner to listen to my local police, I live in a "not so great" neighborhood, so I would like to hear what is going on when the police are in my neighborhood. But as I read more and more about scanners, it looks like I need to spend $400 to get one that will work, and that I will be smart enough to program. The UV-5R seems like a very inexpensive way to do what I want if it will work.....
Will the UV-5R be able to listen to the local police (Northbridge, MA)?
Can I legally use the UV-5R w/o a license of some kind?

Thanks for any advice!

Forgive me if my questions seem dumb, I know next to nothing about radios and scanners. My only experience is using a CB and I have a set of GMRS radios that I used to use with the wife at large fairs and such, until I always had a cell phone.

That said, I have been considering getting a scanner to listen to my local police, I live in a "not so great" neighborhood, so I would like to hear what is going on when the police are in my neighborhood. But as I read more and more about scanners, it looks like I need to spend $400 to get one that will work, and that I will be smart enough to program. The UV-5R seems like a very inexpensive way to do what I want if it will work.....

Thanks for any advice!

Listening is perfectly legal, you just do not want to hit the transmit button while you are on the police frequency.

I was able to find my local PD frequency online. I think this is where I found it.

http://www.rfwiz.com/Frequencies/Massachusetts/MassTownsCounties.htm

Thanks for any advice!
The UV-5R will not do what you need in your town. the main fire and police frequencies are in the 33.xx range which the uv-5r doesnt cover. Your PD list 2 frequencies one in the 33.xx range and one at 453.18750. You will be able to monitor this 453.18750 with the UV-5R.
Northbridge

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
33.68000 KBQ744 BM 127.3 PL Northbrdg FD Fire FM Fire Dispatch
39.86000 KCA918 BM 146.2 PL Northbrdg PD Police FM Fire Dispatch
453.18750 KCA918 RM 146.2 PL Northbrdg PD Police FMN Law Dispatch
45.84000 BM 97.4 PL Northbrg DPW Department of Public Works FMN Public Works
155.29500 BM 97.4 PL Vendetti SB Vendetti School Bus Company FMN Schools
453.10000 WPZR578 RM 192.8 PL Northbrdg SC Schools FMN Schools
458.06250 BM 107.2 PL Nrthbrdg FDR Fire Repeater (Link to 33.68) FMN Fire Dispatch

The UV-5R will not do what you need in your town. the main fire and police frequencies are in the 33.xx range which the uv-5r doesnt cover. Your PD list 2 frequencies one in the 33.xx range and one at 453.18750. You will be able to monitor this 453.18750 with the UV-5R.
Northbridge

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
33.68000 KBQ744 BM 127.3 PL Northbrdg FD Fire FM Fire Dispatch
39.86000 KCA918 BM 146.2 PL Northbrdg PD Police FM Fire Dispatch
453.18750 KCA918 RM 146.2 PL Northbrdg PD Police FMN Law Dispatch
45.84000 BM 97.4 PL Northbrg DPW Department of Public Works FMN Public Works
155.29500 BM 97.4 PL Vendetti SB Vendetti School Bus Company FMN Schools
453.10000 WPZR578 RM 192.8 PL Northbrdg SC Schools FMN Schools
458.06250 BM 107.2 PL Nrthbrdg FDR Fire Repeater (Link to 33.68) FMN Fire Dispatch

Chet,

Thanks!!!! You posted in time for me to cancel the order I placed on Amazon!!

Do you have any advice on an inexpensive way for me to monitor Northbridge PD frequencies?

Thanks Again!

Not familiar with the newer models but anything basic should do what you want.
The one mentioned earlier in this thread would probably do what you want for less than 100 bucks
http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-Channel-Scanner-Weather-BC345CRS/dp/B00ALNPM2C/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1456266273&sr=1-5&keywords=uniden+scanner

I am not a Bearcat fan but there are not a lot of choices. I would check out Scannermaster.com to see what else is available.
The problem with the cheap one on amazon is if your town upgrades in the near future you will need to as well.
personally I would opt for a hand held with recharging capability for standard batteries. I like to take mine with me sometimes.

On a quick look I like this one
http://www.scannermaster.com/Whistler_WS1010_Analog_Handheld_Scanner_p/55-501873.htm
The Whistler scanners are build on the GRE platform (Whistler bought GRE). GRE did most of Radio Shacks scanners and they worked well and were easy to program.

Back
Top Bottom