Please help ID model of my S&W revolver

southshoresig

NES Member
Hello everyone,
I bought a used 38 special snub nosed bodyguard airweight but I don't know what model it is It's blued and the serial # is 2261XX. It appears to match pictures of Model 38 and Model 49.
Thanks for any help.

If it is an airweight, then it should be the Model 38, the Bodyguard Airweight. The model 49 is built on the steel J-frame and is heavier. The 38 is about 14 oz while the 49 is around 20 oz. Whichever you have, it's a nice little carry piece.

Just thought of this, open the cylinder and see if the model number is stamped in the crane area.

Thanks Frosty, it does have MOD 38 inside the cradle. Are there any websites that I can look up the year it was made? It's such a nice looking piece that it intrigues me.
Thanks again
ps it's a great shooter in addition to carrying well.

I generally use Supica and Nahas' Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson and the assembled expertise of the people on www.smith-wessonforum.com to date S&W products. I would estimate 1959 or 60 for yours. You can call S&W customer service I believe and they can pinpoint it closer.

I bought it at 4 seasons and they did the paper work. I just looked at the paperwork and they listed it as a model 49. Go figure Also I was interested in finding how old it was as the finish is like new.

Last edited:
I bought it at 4 seasons and they did the paper work. I just looked at the paperwork and they listed it as a model 49. Go figure Also I was interested in finding how old it was as the finish is like new.

Sometimes even the best of gun shops make a mistake. As long as the serial number and other pertinent information is correct I doubt that a wrong model number would cause you any problem.

The finish on many of the older S&Ws can last a long time if they are handled carefully. Sounds like yours was.

Got pics?

Back
Top Bottom