PLEASE DELETE

Drilled a hole near the bottom to empty out anything that was in it, it was empty.

You drilled a hole into an unknown piece of ordnance to make sure there were no explosives or toxic gases in it?
Isn't that like pulling the trigger of a gun to see if it is loaded?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is the most F'd up thread I've read in a long time. I'm hoping this is a joke. Nothing I could say hasn't already been posted so I'll just finish my post with select quotes to sum up how I feel:
I would be VERY CAREFUL about handling any old ordnance found on a range... there are too many instances of "duds" still being live.

Just a thought... picking up UXO is one of the most dangerous things you could possibly do in a impact area.

Literally millions of people have been killed / maimed by UXO.

I generally try to keep my distance from unexploded ordinance... but that's just me.

You drilled a hole into an unknown piece of ordnance to make sure there were no explosives or toxic gases in it?
Isn't that like pulling the trigger of a gun to see if it is loaded?

I apologize If I missed anybody I should have quoted, but I think the ones above pretty much say all that needs to be said. Also posts are quoted in chronological order, not order of importance.

... there are too many instances of "duds" still being live.

What he said !
The town of Vechta in Northern Germany including the local jail had to be evacuated yesterday because of a "dud".
The 1,000 pounder, courtesy of the U.S. Air Force from back in 1944, was declared as too dangerous to be disarmed, so they had to blow it up right on site.
The creater measured approx. 33 ft W by 17 ft D.
http://www.nwzonline.de/nwz-bilder/500/2009/12/27/BOMBE_bombe34LL_0.jpg

Last edited:
LOL, I could have used a guy like you on my convoy security team. "Hey Dooger, go check out those wires in that pile of trash up ahead. Bring your drill."

hahaha. You guys are killing me! I was merely posting this to show it all to you, not to get criticism...thanks for the concern though [wink]. Like I said before, Im no bomb expert, and I appreciate the advice...and I'll take it and dig a hole in the woods and bury it....however, I thought it was just cool and thought I'd show it to you all.

And yes, I threw a rock at it, shot a roman candle at it, and kicked it around for a while before a picked it up....[wink]. Thanks for all your concerns.

hahaha. You guys are killing me! I was merely posting this to show it all to you, not to get criticism...thanks for the concern though [wink]. Like I said before, Im no bomb expert, and I appreciate the advice...and I'll take it and dig a hole in the woods and bury it....however, I thought it was just cool and thought I'd show it to you all.

And yes, I threw a rock at it, shot a roman candle at it, and kicked it around for a while before a picked it up....[wink]. Thanks for all your concerns.

Seriously. You can't be sure, reeaaalllly sure, until you bang it off a tree. [wink]

One of my instructors at MCT was an EOD Marine and he told us that the "throw a rock at it and duck" procedure was the most common way of determining if UXO was safe to handle. So hey, at least you did the right thing [wink]. Now wrap it in det chord and blow it up, just for kicks [laugh].

Back
Top Bottom