Pistol Course -> Application time period

Is there a time period in which I must submit my application for a pistol permit in CT. The period I refer to is starting from when I complete the appropriate pistol course to application. I had heard 90 days, but wasn't sure. I emailed DPS, but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks,

Dan

My Mass. pistol course was 4-5 years old when I applied for my CT non-res., and I got without any issues.

Is there a time period in which I must submit my application for a pistol permit in CT. The period I refer to is starting from when I complete the appropriate pistol course to application. I had heard 90 days, but wasn't sure. I emailed DPS, but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks,

Dan

If it's for a CT resident license, you must apply within 60 days of your course date.

If it's for a CT resident license, you must apply within 60 days of your course date.

Wow, you're full of fail on CT laws. Stick to MA and quit giving out bad advice. I am/was a CT resident and used a two year old training certificate. The class wasn't even taken in CT...worked like a charm. Again, as in your misinformed post where you said you cannot carry on a temporary permit...provide an actual legal link stating that it has to be within 60 days.

I stand corrected. The 60 days is actually the validity period of a temporary license. My source was quite misinformed. And yes you can carry, but not purchase, on a temporary license. Thanks to Sgt. Hall of DPS for the written clarification, and to Alteeza for bringing the errors to my attention.

No problem robmcd and sorry if I sounded like a bit of an ass. Interesting that you cannot purchase on a temporary permit. Why is that and where is it delineated in the law? Never read anything to that effect and I was told by my PD that you can exercise the full privileges of the permanent permit with the temporary one unless it's expired.

I heard the same including directly from the town where I got my temp permit before getting my perm. You can carry but can't purchase with a temp lol makes no sense! [rofl]

Theoretically a CT resident could have purchased a handgun using an Eligibility Certificate, then applied for a pistol permit at a later date. A temporary permit would then allow the person to carry the handgun legally. A alternative would be to use a handgun owned by another lawfully licensed person.

Here's the text of an e-mail I received from CT DPS in response to my inquiry:

A temporary permit allows a person to carry but they cannot purchase.

Sergeant Douglas A. Hall
Connecticut State Police
Special Licensing and Firearms Unit
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT 06457
Tele 860-685-8003
Fax 860-685-8644

P.S. Sgt. Hall is an attorney

Last edited:
Theoretically a CT resident could have purchased a handgun using an Eligibility Certificate, then applied for a pistol permit at a later date. A temporary permit would then allow the person to carry the handgun legally. A alternative would be to use a handgun owned by another lawfully licensed person.

Here's the text of an e-mail I received from CT DPS in response to my inquiry:

A temporary permit allows a person to carry but they cannot purchase.

Sergeant Douglas A. Hall
Connecticut State Police
Special Licensing and Firearms Unit
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT 06457
Tele 860-685-8003
Fax 860-685-8644

P.S. Sgt. Hall is an attorney

I'd like to hear what he has to say on the legality of carrying on campus

Back
Top Bottom