PET LOADS FOR THE .300 WINCHESTER MAGNUM

paracarry

NES Member
Working on a load for my .300 Win Mag for 600 yards. Not for hunting. Loaded up some Hornady 178 gr A-Max with 69gr of reloader 22 got a little over a one inch, 5 shot group at 200 yards. I will also be using 175 gr Sierra BTHP match, because I have 500 of them for my .308. Any suggestions on other powder. Shooting it out of a heavy barreled Remington 700.

I have loaded these with success, from fastest to slowest H4831, Win780, Imr7828, H1000, Retumbo, And Reloader 25.

Dean

PS: 69gr of RL22 is a really weak load, I am surprise your grouping was that tight.

Last edited:
I have loaded these with success, from fastest to slowest H4831, Win780, Imr7828, H1000, Retumbo, And Reloader 25.

Dean

PS: 69gr of RL22 is a really weak load, I am surprise your grouping was that tight.
That was my starting load and I went up in 1 grain increments up to 72 gr and they got progressively worse?

Keep going they will begin to tighten up again, you should be in the 75gr plus area with that powder and bullet load.

Dean

If ever you want to have the most fun you have ever had with your clothes on, get some 110gr Vmax's, Sierra HP, Speer, or Barnes TTSX's and 85gr of RL17 or 75gr of Varget. Instant 4000+ fps Varmint Slayer.

Dean

PS: You will be overshooting them in the beginning, since there is no bullet drop until past 400yds. Have fun if you chose so, I know at the very least I peaked your curiosity.[laugh]

Last edited:
IF you are a speed freak and care not so much about accuracy, chronograph maximum loads with sabots and take a picture of the display. Never quite sure but I saw at least one 5,000 FPS in a .300 Weatherby 30 years ago.

You mean like this, only this is no sabot. if a 110gr is to radical for you, a 125gr is a good compromise between speed and weight.

Dean

PS: I get good accuracy or I would not preach it.

Dean, You're hinting that this is a full caliber .30 Cal. bullet. I'd suggest if that is indeed the case that the chronograph is suspect.
I can't even imagine the pressure on that. I measured base diameter to gauge pressure.

I played with a .300 Weatherby about 30 years ago and never got really good accuracy when I pushed the limits. Never a record keeper,
I'd guess the fastest I ever got with 30 Cal. bullets was under 4,000 FPS with 110's and accuracy was nothing to write about. Of course
my powders were a little limited.

That was not a 30 cal it was a 22 cal my 22-06 AI, I do have a half dozen chamberings that can top 5000 fps.

Dean

PS: Sorry did not mean to mislead, but when you start talking velocity my brain goes rampid.[laugh]

PPS: My 17 twist 30" 300 Rum will send 110gr bullets over 4500+ fps and that is verified on several chrono's

Last edited:
Got it. Were I an experimenter today in .30 caliber top end, the 300 RUM is where I'd start. The few experiments with .22 30 years ago were with standard cartridges and while the velocities were pretty good I concentrated on .30 and convinced myself that was more like it.

Back
Top Bottom