• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pelican style cases as low as $14...

Wow, those are a lot cheaper than Pelican.

I wish they had one with an interior length of like 36" [sad2]

Blast them an email - MCM is a retailer... They may be willing to reach out to the manufacturer and special order larger sizes (assuming their vendors, and they appear to have a few, have larger stock sizes.)

Since you do not want a case small enough for baggage handlers to easily steal, this one with a pair of Abloy locks affixed to it would be great for handguns and <=11 lbs of ammo. And since it is maximum carry-on size (22"x13.5"x9) it could also serve as a carry-on piece when not traveling with firearms. Seems like the best option short of needing to transport rifles.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/22-24130

Not good for flying. Baggage handlers would simply steal the whole thing.

I use a Pelican case like that all the time for flying. I cable it to the frame of the suitcase and so far no one has touched it other than the TSA in my presence.

The price is Quick Fire cases are OK, but not that much less than a Pelican.
I'd have to look at the other cases in person to see how good they are.

I use a Pelican case like that all the time for flying. I cable it to the frame of the suitcase and so far no one has touched it other than the TSA in my presence.

The price is Quick Fire cases are OK, but not that much less than a Pelican.
I'd have to look at the other cases in person to see how good they are.

There's at least one video review on YouTube of the DuraTool cases. Looked to be by a gun guy, but he was talking about using it for camera gear.

IMO, for traveling just buy the Pelicans. They're worth every penny and if you ever break it they will replace it for free. I have a lot of Storm cases both for work and for guns. They are awesome.

If you just want something cheap to go to and from the range these ones are OK.

Everything worth buying has a plethora of YouTube video reviews.

If MCM-labeled "Weatherproof Tactical Equipment Cases" really are a value (when compared to a Pelican), please

show me the video!

show-me-the-money-3.jpg

Last edited:
I have a carry-on approved Pelican Case for camera gear (1510). After 15-years of dragging it everywhere (gravel paths, beaches, Alaska) and banging the shit out of it (sidewalk curbs, doorways, stairs, etc.), the only thing wrong with it, is that one of the [two] wheels wore out.

I called Pelican to buy a new wheel and they sent me a new pair for free. No questions asked. The customer service rep said "Thank you for your business."

Buy a Pelican. You won't regret it.

Tony P.

Last edited:
Since you do not want a case small enough for baggage handlers to easily steal, this one with a pair of Abloy locks affixed to it would be great for handguns and <=11 lbs of ammo. And since it is maximum carry-on size (22"x13.5"x9) it could also serve as a carry-on piece when not traveling with firearms. Seems like the best option short of needing to transport rifles.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/22-24130

im still a fan of my idea for rifle transport
http://www.ebags.com/product/caddy-...l-hybrid-travel-bag/242722?productid=10212825

just cut out the inner supports and it fits 3 rifles/shotguns perfectly with plenty of room for extras. only problem is guns with a pistol grip (AR,AK etc..) dont really fit well or at all sometimes

Nice find. Waiting on reviews from here

MCM tends to have cyclical sales, and they DEFINITELY live the "internet era" sales mantra... Pay them a visit, then go to virtually any other site on the internet: You'll have MCM sales banners and directed ads all over the place.
So, should this promo end it'll probably return, or you may be offered "last chance" on the price by click-thru from a directed ad source.

At "Linear Inches: 78", that is oversize for air travel, a $200. penalty.

True, but it is standard size for a golf bag. Besides the ability to take 3 rifles in one case cuts down on costs as opposed to 3 smaller single gun cases.

Also, it seems that many airlines don't have a size limit on firearm cases, only that they be hard sided (likewise it seems that many airlines are liberal on golf bag sizes)

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Btw, they said that if there is a group buy of 12or more the price is $110 with free shipping (not sure if it's to one site or 12 individual sites though)... marketing the suggestion in the group buy thread

Last edited:
These cases from MCM do not compare to Pelican.

I have a pair of 1520 pelican cases for luggage on my BMW dual sport. I was rear-ended by another bike in the woods, he hit the pelican case hard enough to bend and twist the steel luggage rack, but (other than cosmetic scuff marks) no damage was done to the pelican case. I'm sure a lesser case would have failed epic-ally.

We have a few of the 22-24155 from MCM at work. They are used to carry and transport electronics. For the cost they are fine and serve their purpose. We simply needed something more protective and durable than the Rubbermaid totes we used in the past.

For one, I would not trust one as luggage on my motorcycle. I can stand, or even jump on my Pelican cases and they don't even flex. The case from MCM will not support me without bowing in and the seams opening up.

Would I use them to store/ transport firearms to and from the range? Sure.
Would I put a pair of SVI open guns in one, and check it on a flight cross country? NO, the extra cost of a pelican Is well worth knowing the case contents are safe.

I have one that I store my drone in. Best $50 I spent in a while. Ill have to look the model up, mine has no bowing, im standing on it right now to test, and yes, my drones in it. I wouldn't do that if I want confidant it would hold.

Yes, pelican is a better product, but the quality of my mcm case exceeds the cost.

Edit: I have a duratool case they used to sell. I don't think they carry it anymore. Mine doesn't have pressure relief for altitude. It does look similar to their brand though.

Last edited:
...I can stand, or even jump on my Pelican cases and they don't even flex. The case from MCM will not support me without bowing in and the seams opening up...Would I put a pair of SVI open guns in one, and check it on a flight cross country? NO, the extra cost of a pelican Is well worth knowing the case contents are safe.

On this YouTube video, you'll notice that the case is full of foam when he (carefully) stands upon it (for a brief moment), and he does not close the latches when he does it. Had the case been empty, and/or had the latches been latched, and/or had he really jumped upon it, instead of just standing on it, it might have been a more useful video review.

True, but it is standard size for a golf bag. Besides the ability to take 3 rifles in one case cuts down on costs as opposed to 3 smaller single gun cases. Also, it seems that many airlines don't have a size limit on firearm cases, only that they be hard sided (likewise it seems that many airlines are liberal on golf bag sizes).

Which airline lets you carry non-golf equipment in (otherwise oversize) golf bags, without assessing an oversize charge? Which airline waives size limits for checked luggage when the luggage is a firearm case? I don't doubt that there may be one, but it is not the norm. The norm, in my experience, is very different.

Last edited:
Which airline lets you carry non-golf equipment in (otherwise oversize) golf bags, without assessing an oversize charge? Which airline waives size limits for checked luggage when the luggage is a firearm case? I don't doubt that there may be one, but it is not the norm. The norm, in my experience, is very different.

As for golf equipment in particular
http://www.airline-baggage-fees.com/sports/golf/american-airlines.html
American just says "hard sided case"
http://www.airline-baggage-fees.com/sports/golf/

Firearm specific... most of them just say "a locked hard sided case" and give no mention of size, aka
https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html

That said, anything over 62" seems to normal fall in the "oversized" category but I think it depends on the person checking the luggage. I know 2 people who have travelled multiple times with a standard golf bag inside a hard sided container (way more than 62") and never get charged extra. Don't know if firearms are treated differently, never tried and don't know anyone who has with a larger then normal Plano case

I do see mention of not letting golf equipment AND other equipment together, but the only golf equipment is the bag itself so that should matter???

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Certainly, an airline agent has a degree of latitude on how strictly they choose to conduct themselves; I have seen that myself.

To me - American Airlines' policy is crystal-clear: "Golf Clubs Allowance/Requirements - One golf bag containing no more than 14 golf clubs, 12 golf balls and one pair of golf shoes" and "Maximum Size and Weight - Items that are larger than 126 inches and 100 lbs. will not be accepted as checked baggage. Contact a freight forwarder for assistance with these items. Additional items not included in the item description below must not be packed inside the sports case and are subject to overweight and/or oversize charges."

Likewise, is Southwest's: Firearms may be checked and will count toward the two-piece free baggage allowance for each fare-paying passenger. We allow multiple firearms to be transported inside one hard-sided case; Weight and Size Allowance - Maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per checked piece of luggage. Effective for tickets purchased on or after December 15, 2012, for travel on or after February 13, 2013, overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches (e.g.; surfboards, bicycles, vaulting poles) will be accepted for an overweight and oversize baggage fee of $75 per item. For tickets for travel before February 13, 2013, or for tickets purchased prior to December 15, 2012, overweight and oversize baggage fee is $50 per item. Any item weighing more than 100 pounds must be shipped as Air Cargo. However, Customers cannot use SWA Cargo unless classified as a Known Shipper as defined by the TSA or TSA approved Indirect Air Carriers (IAC). For full details about shipping cargo, visit www.swacargo.com. Exception: Military Passengers traveling on active duty or permanent change of station orders will be exempt from the two-piece Baggage limit and will not be subject to excess, oversize, or overweight Baggage charges, provided that none of the pieces of Baggage exceeds 100 pounds in weight and 80 inches in size (outside length plus height plus width).

The only guy I know who used a (oversize) hard-sided golf bag case to carry firearms was assessed an oversize luggage fee. I'd be interested in hearing any first-hand experiences of airline travel where this activity did not incur an oversize charge.

Just received my case ( model 22-24120), $50 shipped. I weigh 175lbs and can jump on it (the top lid flexes a bit and sides slightly bulge out). I think it's a really good case for how much it costs.

4fd9e2436448661b3b21c1a535ad5046.jpg

Can anyone else from this thread who purchased a case update on their experiences? I'm interested in getting a few and am hoping to get some real world info.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom