Peep sights for flat top AR ?

Hoping to find a fat girl to slurp my eel
My newest build is a straight target match gun. My son and I shoot 200 offhand frequently, I built my upper already with a 22" Krieger barrel and broke it in and its a great shooter. I'm looking to see what people are using for peep/ aperture sights for a flat top AR. I'm not quite ready to drop $400.00+ each for micrometer style sights. I know "precision costs $" but for the time being I just don't have the money. Any ideas on "reasonable" sight set ups? Or pics of what you use? Where to get them? Maybe a decent used set? Thanks for your help.

Here is a rear mount you can use. http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=CCM3LR
If your going to use a globe front this is a option http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=CCAR1050
Then you could use a,Lyman or Williams target sight.
I have the Williams if you want to try it it's the cheapest one out their.

Or just bust out the wallet
http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=CategoryBody&c=OPSICE
stepping up to "match" rifle , your going to pay....[smile][laugh][crying]......
Was going that route myself but since I,don't get out much anymore I gave up on match rifle set up.

Buy a Warner and you'll be curled up in a fetal position and balling for a week or more.

or do what I did, and sell 2 warners, and use that money to buy 3 Phoenix's

I will say they make a DAMNED nice sight. still not cheap though.

OP - if all youre going to do is shoot 200yd OH, just about any set of sights will do. I would suggest ponying up for a 30mm front sight (Riles, RightSight, etc), only because it make the sight picture THAT much better....but if you're not going to shoot across the course, then just about any rear will do (although Id still suggest getting something with an adjustable diopter)

It is mainly for 200 OH, I got the 22mm globe and the Anschutz is adjustable. Originally I bought one way too big , at the smallest setting I could see 3' to each side of the target frame. This one is 1.8-3.8 , I wanted to dial in today but the rain changed that.
The diopter is adjustable too, I didn't get a big $$ one though. Just one that works for my old eyes and my son's good eyes for when he shoots it .

Last edited:
Yes I did. Ended up getting Phoenix Precision front and rear sight with Anschutz adjustable iris'. Like everything, buy once cry once.

Phoenix makes a damn good sight. I like the Gehmann iris better than the Anschutz though (I have both and they're very similar but the Gehmann has a wider range of adjustment.)

Last edited:
Phoenix makes a damn good sight. I like the Gehmann iris better than the Anschutz though (I have both and they're very similar but the Gehmann has a wider range of adjustment.)

Thank you ,this is my first time with a true target gun. I'll keep that in mind when I put together the next one. The sights and barrel were the most $$. Krieger 22" .920 ,the rest of it is pretty standard. RR NM trigger ,A2 stock. If I improve and think I can benefit with a different stock and trigger I'll go down that road at a later date.

Thank you ,this is my first time with a true target gun. I'll keep that in mind when I put together the next one. The sights and barrel were the most $$. Krieger 22" .920 ,the rest of it is pretty standard. RR NM trigger ,A2 stock. If I improve and think I can benefit with a different stock and trigger I'll go down that road at a later date.

You could win matches with that config if you hold hard enough. Nothing wrong with your setup.

You keep going your going to end up like this..... Gallagher_s-300x254.jpg

Your going to laugh at my getto set up....I basically borrowed sight parts from 4 different rifles/sights
Only thing I don't have yet is adjustable aperture on the rear. If I get out this year first up will be the 513t with old school Redfield. I just hope the small globe gets low enough to get that 10moa I need to get out to 200.

You keep going your going to end up like this.....View attachment 152101

Your going to laugh at my getto set up....I basically borrowed sight parts from 4 different rifles/sights
Only thing I don't have yet is adjustable aperture on the rear. If I get out this year first up will be the 513t with old school Redfield. I just hope the small globe gets low enough to get that 10moa I need to get out to 200.

Tyler shoots 200 with his 513t and the redfields ,that gun is a great shooter ! I didn't have any other one to pilfer sights from ! I'm late to the game.

My son and I put together a NM A2 for him to shoot I wanted peep sights on this one for me , he can still see just fine with the front post/ carry handle sight and I want him to be good with that set up. I can use it but the "spider webs" are starting to show in the rear sight for me , that's his gun and I don't want to change it around.

Ahhh spider webs....that's just the beginning. Your right behind me. Almost time for the goofy glasses!

A,quick comparison of match sights:
Left to right, Centra, Phoenix, Warner.
20151129_143027.jpg 20151129_142937.jpg
There are things I like about each of them. I especially like the centra's scale and how it's positioned.
The Centra and Phoenix are under $400 (I think still). The Warner is over $600 (I have it because it was already on a rifle I bought).
None of them will cost you, or buy you a point when compared to each other.

My son and I put together a NM A2 for him to shoot I wanted peep sights on this one for me , he can still see just fine with the front post/ carry handle sight and I want him to be good with that set up. I can use it but the "spider webs" are starting to show in the rear sight for me , that's his gun and I don't want to change it around.

Spider webs are usually a sign that you need more light. Try a bigger aperture.

On a similar note, that's how I adjust the rear aperture on my match sights. Turn it all the way down to the smallest size, then slowly open it up until the spider webs go away.

Thanks everyone, after our pistol match today I got a chance to bench shoot it to get it on target. At 50 the groups got very good, moved to 200 as we were running out of light ,front aperture was way better. Group was low ,next Sunday I'll finish getting it good. Then try some different loads to see what's best for this barrel.

if its a kreiger, it either a 1:7, 7.7 or 6.5

what are you using for bullets, and who chambered it?

77gr nosler/sierra's under 24.0-24.3gr of RE15 was always a HAMMER for me, although if you're shooting 200yd only ive also had really good luck with the 52 FB sierras

It's a 1 in 7.7 chambered by Krieger. I'm using 77gr SMK with 24 gr of Varget . I'm seating them to mag length. I haven't had time to play around with different loads yet. I do have a bunch of 69 gr SMK I can try also.

That load will clean the target all day long.

A,quick comparison of match sights:
Left to right, Centra, Phoenix, Warner.
View attachment 152141View attachment 152142
There are things I like about each of them. I especially like the centra's scale and how it's positioned.
The Centra and Phoenix are under $400 (I think still). The Warner is over $600 (I have it because it was already on a rifle I bought).
None of them will cost you, or buy you a point when compared to each other.
What are the tubes on the front of the rear sight in the two on the right? What purpose do they serve? I have much to learn.

Back
Top Bottom