• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Passed the Tech Exam!

I am pretty happy that I passed my Tech Exam. Took the test in Holyoke this evening. I would embarrass myself if I told you how many hours of study it took to feel confident of passing. At age 70, things are not as easy as they once were. Now on to the General. That shouldn't be too tough, right? Yeah.

Welcome to the hobby!

Yes, keep that boulder rolling and push on to the General without stopping. It's so much harder to get back into the study habit after a good break.

I am pretty happy that I passed my Tech Exam. Took the test in Holyoke this evening. I would embarrass myself if I told you how many hours of study it took to feel confident of passing. At age 70, things are not as easy as they once were. Now on to the General. That shouldn't be too tough, right? Yeah.
Welcome. General is easy. if you like light math, consider Extra.

I recommend keeping your call sign, which is publicly-accessible info, separate from your at-least-theoretically-anonymous presence on NES. Radioreference.com is a good online resource and a good place to make your username your call sign.

I recommend keeping your call sign, which is publicly-accessible info, separate from your at-least-theoretically-anonymous presence on NES.
Git this some thought. It's a personal decision. The mailing address you gave the FCC is public information. With your call anyone can look up that address. There are those that get a P.O. box and give that to the FCC. This is perfectly legal as the only thing the FCC wants/needs is a way to get hold of you by mail.

On the other hand, in this modern era of over-sharing(social media) and everything being electronic, you can find just about anyone with a little work, so keeping your call private only insulates you from lazy nutjobs you somehow pissed off.

Git this some thought. It's a personal decision. The mailing address you gave the FCC is public information. With your call anyone can look up that address. There are those that get a P.O. box and give that to the FCC. This is perfectly legal as the only thing the FCC wants/needs is a way to get hold of you by mail.

On the other hand, in this modern era of over-sharing(social media) and everything being electronic, you can find just about anyone with a little work, so keeping your call private only insulates you from lazy nutjobs you somehow pissed off.
Yep. It helps you're not one of the suckers putting your life on social media for public scrutiny.

w00t! Congrats and welcome to the hobby!

Back
Top Bottom