Park and Forest Carry?

Is anyone aware of any efforts to change the law as it pertains to carrying a handgun in CT state parks and forests? Now that the law has changed for national parks and Tennessee has changed its laws, perhaps it is time to push for a change in CT.

I see that there is some question as to "whom may carry when" in the DEP regulations. I can not, however, locate an actual law to this effect, nor have I ever heard of one.... I'll have to check on this one. Regulations don't have any bite other than administrative (revoke hunting license, etc) penalties or the ability for a conservation officer to have you removed from the park. I live in a town with a "no guns in the town park" ordinance [angry]. There is pending legislation at the capitol to stop all local ordinances such as this one; only the state regulates the carry of firearms.

There is no law preventing you from carrying in a state park or forest.
The only state restrictions on where you can carry are schools and wherever the state legislature is meeting.

With that said, there are environmental laws that say that if you are carrying a gun, and it is not a gun legal for hunting whatever is in season, and you don't have the proper permits and tags, then it is prima facia evidence of poaching.

Realistically, here is how it works according to a CT conservation officer I spoke with on this topic.

If you are going hunting, lets say deer hunting with a muzzle loader or bow, you had better leave that .22 revolver at home. It could be construed that you are poaching with the revolver.

If you are out hiking, dressed in hiking clothes, making noise, you have nothing to worry about, because you are clearly not "hunting".

Hope this helps.

Bottom line is that if you are out hunting, don't bring a handgun as a "backup" or as "protection". If you are out enjoying a day in the woods, then carry as you would like.

Back
Top Bottom