Panic in the Year Zero

UFO

This 1962 movie is interesting to watch. It's funny and curious.
What will a man do to protect his family in post-nuclear attack California?
And did the government write the script? The movie is like a how to:
- supplies; what to (what not to) buy
- how to load a magazine
- how to tie a good knot

It's also a retro-hoot, like when Dad asks his son to light a cig for him. [rofl]

I really was struck by the "made by the Government" feel to it. Good beating evil. The US 'winning' a nuclear war. People feeling saved when the meet the Army. The stalwart Dad being resourceful, smart and tough. I think the daughter would have been spared though if they had cast June Lockhart in the role. She knows how to handle a laser pistol. Or a Winchester (depends which TV show you know her from).

Wow! As a bona fide (I thought) sci-fi nerd, and afficiando of film noir, cold war classics and B-movies, how could I possibly have missed a post-apocalyptic masterpiece like this? "Plan 9 from Outer Space", "The Day the Earth Stood Still", "Day of the Triffids", "Village of the Damned", "The Invisible Man", "Donovan's Brain", "Creature From the Black Lagoon" and "Them" ... move over!

Ray Milland and Frankie Avalon together in mixed genre? I'm breathless! Where can I get the full movie?

Wow! As a bona fide (I thought) sci-fi nerd, and afficiando of film noir, cold war classics and B-movies, how could I possibly have missed a post-apocalyptic masterpiece like this? "Plan 9 from Outer Space", "The Day the Earth Stood Still", "Day of the Triffids", "Village of the Damned", "The Invisible Man", "Donovan's Brain", "Creature From the Black Lagoon" and "Them" ... move over!

Ray Milland and Frankie Avalon together in mixed genre? I'm breathless! Where can I get the full movie?

I can't tell if you're a true movie buff or super sarcastic. It's on Netflix and Amazon. I am sure you will find if you must have it...

I really was struck by the "made by the Government" feel to it. Good beating evil. The US 'winning' a nuclear war. People feeling saved when the meet the Army. The stalwart Dad being resourceful, smart and tough.

It used to be, so I hear, that people expected good to win. They respected and trusted the armed forces. And men were expected to be MEN-resourceful, smart, and tough, not hand wringing milquetoasts.

I also have not seen this one - if anybody has a copy they can burn I would appreciate it.

I can't tell if you're a true movie buff or super sarcastic. It's on Netflix and Amazon. I am sure you will find if you must have it...

Real buff. I'm also sarcastic, and a cynical ba$tard, but I'll usually let you know with the [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] enclosure when I intend to rag on a post.

I totally missed this gem. Guess I'll have to pay for it, unless someone can, uh, burn a copy for me ... [wink]

Back
Top Bottom