• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Palmetto State AK 556

I wanted to buy my first rifle, however am unclear as many laws seem to conflict. Am I able to own the PS AK chambered in 556 in Ma?

Thanks for any help.

Simple answer is yes but it is a bit more complicated than that, keep in mind you can't order from PSA as they won't ship to MA. so unless you find a private sale you are unlikely to find one at your local gun store.

Simple answer is yes but it is a bit more complicated than that, keep in mind you can't order from PSA as they won't ship to MA. so unless you find a private sale you are unlikely to find one at your local gun store.
I was thinking of trying the gun show in november to try my luck. also open to suggestions as I want an AK platform but prefer 556 for ease of use and cost effectivness.

then use the caliber the thing was designed for, not some bastardized hack that works when it feels like it...

THIS.

There's a very good rifle readily available that was designed for 5.56x45, and it's not the AK. Much of the reason why the AK is built as it is, and functions as well as it does, is because x39 rounds were specifically designed to work well with it.

On top of that, American-made AKs have a generally low reputation. There are reasons for that. Just buy some cheap Commie-made AK and a bunch of x39 (7.62 preferably, 5.45 if you're a wimp or a lottery winner) and that's all you need.

THIS.

There's a very good rifle readily available that was designed for 5.56x45, and it's not the AK. Much of the reason why the AK is built as it is, and functions as well as it does, is because x39 rounds were specifically designed to work well with it.

On top of that, American-made AKs have a generally low reputation. There are reasons for that. Just buy some cheap Commie-made AK and a bunch of x39 (7.62 preferably, 5.45 if you're a wimp or a lottery winner) and that's all you need.
Would you have any to recommend for me to research?

Would you have any to recommend for me to research?

The classic starter AK is the WASR. They used to be $5-600; people are asking a thousand for them now, and that's reality in a state like MA. However, if you're careful and fast, bargains exist: I bought one here in the Commonwealth over the summer for $350. So.

The WASR is cheap, good, strong, and built by Communists, the quintessence of the AK47 in these latter days. It'll last forever. If you want to upgrade from there, you can go with a Norinco or a Maadi; many of those are preban, and it's possible to get them for under $1500. They are excellent rifles. Higher up from there is the FEG/Izhmash tier, probably, or any one of the many milled varieties like Arsenal. But honestly? Those are better finished and possibly a skosh better-made than a WASR, but they won't shoot better-enough to justify the higher price. So I'd get a WASR.

Don't ask me about AK-74 variants. I have scant interest in 5.45.

Thanks for the info, better put than most videos i can find. I was figuring WASR would be good as the gun show next month will definitely have them, but honestly money is not too much an issue, a good rifle is something i wouldn't care about price for as i plan on only buying the one for the foreseeable future.
Do you or anyone have any opinions on meridian defense? The pestilence looks beautiful except for the wait time.

Do you or anyone have any opinions on meridian defense? The pestilence looks beautiful except for the wait time.

I don't like it. But then I don't like pre-ripped jeans or reliced basses, either. It's your dime.

For that amount of money, though, I'd head over to @Mr. Shelby and let him square me away with a first-class AK.

AKs are not easy rifles to only buy one of, I've found. They tend to be addictive. Be warned. I will say this: I've owned AKs or AK-type rifles at every price point from WASR up to Galil, and I've even handled a Valmet. I've owned milled and pressed, preban and postban, bakelite furniture and wood, underfolder and fixed stock, NATO length and Warsaw Pact length.

And the one I'd grab for SHTF is probably a WASR. In terms of bang for the buck, it's great.

I think an AK in 5.56 is a cool idea for a couple reasons. I do think it’s a lot more fun in 7.62x39. But I guess if I was only going to have one rifle and accidentally chose the AK platform over the AR platform, maybe I’d go 5.56.

The classic starter AK is the WASR. They used to be $5-600; people are asking a thousand for them now, and that's reality in a state like MA. However, if you're careful and fast, bargains exist: I bought one here in the Commonwealth over the summer for $350. So.
My brother bought one in MA almost 20 years ago for 325 or 350. I forget. It was a lot of fun and a good value at that price. 5-600 sounds crazy to me. I get the reasons though.

They’re also subject to quality control issues and they vary quite a bit from rifle in my experience. I’ve seen some shoot 3 MOA or so with surplus ammo. And I’ve seen some shoot minute of parking garage.

I think an AK in 5.56 is a cool idea for a couple reasons. I do think it’s a lot more fun in 7.62x39. But I guess if I was only going to have one rifle and accidentally chose the AK platform over the AR platform, maybe I’d go 5.56.
1697665353899.png

"You don't accidentally choose the AK platform. AK platform accidentally chooses you."

Back
Top Bottom