Oxidized brass, is it OK to clean and use?

I picked up a substantial amount of brass at the range the past two weeks. Mostly mixed .40S&W (yes, I reload it), 9mm (yes, I reload that too), some .380's (don't reload those, yet), and quite a few .38's (for a rainy day). It had been sitting in a pile mixed with a small amount of sand and what I estimate to be some rock salt spread around the range to melt the ice. Much of the brass has a green patina, as oxidized copper alloys generally do. I hand polished a few cases to test and they come out fine. Anyone have experience putting this condition brass through a vibratory polisher? Any damage to the brass or the polisher? The cost of ammo being what it is, I've become a bit of a brass scavenger, so I rarely leave anything I reload laying around. I just want to make sure that I'm not wasting my time. Thanks for any info.

As long as there is no visible etching or pitting of the brass, it should be OK to use after cleaning.
However, 40 S&W brass is so cheap that it may not be worth spending extra time to clean.
If you do decide to salvage it, wash it with water and a little detergent to get rid of the salt before it goes in the tumbler. This will keep the salt from contaminating your media.

Jack

Check them really well after cleaning. The water wash is the best thing you can do when you bring them home and don't know what they have been in. I give them a quick wash in a bucket, rinse them well in hot water, dry them the best I can in bulk, and spread them out on newspaper. Make sure you turn them base up so the water drains out of them. A hair dryer works well on the inside of the case, until you wife catches you using her hair dryer.

take one of them and place it in a cup of coka-cola and remove it after a day. You will admire the shiny new look. Then rinse with hot water and dry. If you like the results you can dump all of them in a container with more of said beverage and repeat.

Wash

A bucket of Scalding Hot Water with 1 cup of Simple Green.

Leave it overnight and mix well.

Do not let it sit for a week or you wont have any brass left. It will etch it into dust.

Rinse well with fresh water.

Back
Top Bottom