optics?

My fiancée would like to try an appleseed, but with her poor eyesight, I'm curious as to whether an optical sight would be allowed.

I was coming on to ask a similar questions so I will add onto this one.

I was at the gun shop today looking at a few 10/22, one of which had a scope already mounted and ready to go at a good price. The main reason for my purchase is for attending my first Appleseed this summer. I didn't buy it because I wasn't sure if I could use a scope, but now that I see I CAN is there any reason I SHOULDN'T get it with the scope?

Thanks

I would suggest using either a scope or a set of Tech-Sights http://www.tech-sights.com. The standard open sights that come on the 10/22 are tough to adjust and not super easy to use. The tech-sights give you an aperture and post style sight picture similar to the M16/M1/M14 style rifle. You will learn how to shoot what ever you bring, there is a thread on the LTR (Liberty Training Rifle) that explains well the suggested setup for you Appleseed .22 rifle. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php/35390-The-Liberty-Training-Rifle

Some other things you may need include a USGI web sling, sling mounts for it and enough magazines to bring 40 rounds (four 10/22 mags) to the firing line.

There is a wealth of knowledge over at Appleseedinfo.org, but feel free to post questions, there are enough of us that jump at these threads to answer these kindds of questions.

Ed

I was at the gun shop today looking at a few 10/22, one of which had a scope already mounted and ready to go at a good price. The main reason for my purchase is for attending my first Appleseed this summer. I didn't buy it because I wasn't sure if I could use a scope, but now that I see I CAN is there any reason I SHOULDN'T get it with the scope?

Yes!!

Our aim is teach you how to pick up a rack-grade military rifle, fire one sighter shot and be able to hit targets out to 400 yards. Very simply, there are a lot more rifles out there with iron sights than scopes. IF your eyes are good enough that you can shoot the iron-sighted rifle, then do so. If you can hit at 400 with iron sights, you can hit with a scope.

After all, if you learn how to drive a stick, you can drive pretty much ANY car. If you only learn on an automatic transmission, you're in trouble if you get into a car with a stick.

That said, if your eyes are bad enough that you know you can't see the 400 yard targets, then by all means, bring the scope.

Yes!!

Our aim is teach you how to pick up a rack-grade military rifle, fire one sighter shot and be able to hit targets out to 400 yards. Very simply, there are a lot more rifles out there with iron sights than scopes. IF your eyes are good enough that you can shoot the iron-sighted rifle, then do so. If you can hit at 400 with iron sights, you can hit with a scope.

After all, if you learn how to drive a stick, you can drive pretty much ANY car. If you only learn on an automatic transmission, you're in trouble if you get into a car with a stick.

That said, if your eyes are bad enough that you know you can't see the 400 yard targets, then by all means, bring the scope.

Thanks for the answer, that is what I was thinking. Iron sights it is!

djo, get a set of Tech-Sights. They're so far superior to Ruger's factory sights it's not funny.

Now, if you order them today, you should have them in time to get them mounted before the Appleseed Shoot in Leyden, MA on the 22 & 23rd - and it's pretty wide open still. Plenty of room left on the line.

Oh... and bring a centerfire rifle on Sunday. Leyden has a 200 yard range that we'll be using for qualified shooters on Sunday.

This is a web sling:

966254.jpg

You will find very few people with worse uncorrected eyesight that mine. Yet I have no handicap when shooting a military rifle equipped with a front post/rear aperture sight system like what is standard on US rifles since the M1, so long as I am wearing the same glasses that allow me to function in daily life.

Poor eyesight is an excuse. Get it corrected with glasses or contact lenses.

Back
Top Bottom