• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

oops; sending threatening text during CT firearms hearings; buh-bye...

From the page...
"The Connecticut teen who fatally shot himself while playing with a gun at a friend's house would likely still be alive if the state had a law requiring the safe storage of firearms, his parents told lawmakers today."

That is awful, and I truly feel for the parents. But I can't help but think, their son would likely still be alive if he had been taught the simplest of safety rules. People talk to their teenage kids about the dangers of strangers, drugs and unprotected sex, but we need laws about storage.

The gun was stored unloaded with a trigger lock.
The teenager and his friend didn't just pick up a loaded firearm left lying around.

They're hurting because their son is dead. And I can only imagine their pain.
If it's the gun-owner's fault - it's not their son's fault, it's not their fault.
I feel sorry for them, but ultimately it is their son's fault.

I feel sorry for them, but ultimately it is their son's fault.

Principally and ultimately, yes. But there might be some blame to go around. The homeowner's son might deserve some. And the keys were in the same plastic container hidden under some clothes. Granted, the keys weren't actually stored in the trigger locks, but it still might be considered negligent.

But I think the solution is less about trying to keep ahead of the adaptations our little monkeys are capable of than it is about training the little monkeys so that they, and everyone else, can survive whatever mischief they might choose to get into. I can't help but think that two kids who go shooting a lot and are well-versed in gun safety would know about safety checks and muzzle discipline, even if they were still mischievous enough to go get the guns out of the closet.

Principally and ultimately, yes. But there might be some blame to go around. The homeowner's son might deserve some. And the keys were in the same plastic container hidden under some clothes. Granted, the keys weren't actually stored in the trigger locks, but it still might be considered negligent.

But I think the solution is less about trying to keep ahead of the adaptations our little monkeys are capable of than it is about training the little monkeys so that they, and everyone else, can survive whatever mischief they might choose to get into. I can't help but think that two kids who go shooting a lot and are well-versed in gun safety would know about safety checks and muzzle discipline, even if they were still mischievous enough to go get the guns out of the closet.

I have a good friend who has taught his kids to shoot. I've been to the range with them multiple times, and they handle firearms safely and competently. These are KIDS, not teenagers. I'm comfortable with them on the range. Not complacent, but comfortable.

BUT - he doesn't secure his firearms in his home. He feels that he's discussed it enough with his kids that he doesn't need to.

I have grandchildren that live with me every other week. When they're here, every firearm in the house is secured. If it's not within my reach, it's locked up. Because KIDS - and things that can't be undone.

We've talked a little bit about him having unsecured firearms in his house, (I'm a generation older than he is) - and he's comfortable with his decision.
His house, his children, his life, his rules.

My house, my grandchildren, my life, my rules.

Back
Top Bottom