Ok, so what if I built frankenstein...

If I were to build a 1911 out of parts how would I register it? Do I need to register only the frame or the whole gun when it is built?

Could I order a Frame from Kimber and a Barrel from SA, a slide from S&W, etc and put it all together? What would I register it as? Kimber because of the frame? Home built?

IIRC a frame is not a firearm until it is built, but what would a Frankenstein be registered as?

Just thinking out loud...

Last edited:
Kimber

However, you will need a type 01 FFL or have to order through a dealer to get a frame. Although MA may not (i forget) consider a frame alone to be a registerable firearm, federal law still applies.

I have a "mutt" gun and it was registered as the maker of the
frame with its SN.

According to MA law something is a firearm when it is capable of
discharging a shot, so when you get done building it you can FA-10
it. Chances are though the MA FFL that imports the frame for you will
FA-10 it anyways, even though they really dont have to because it's not
really a gun. (have fun trying to tell them that though.. they want to
cover their ass, so 99% of them will register a frame.

-Mike

I kinda figured that the frame would need to go through an FFL.

Anyone have a link to the to the MGL about the frame not being a firearm? I would take that with me to order and pick up the frame...

I am not sure how they could FA-10 it anyway, I am not even sure what caliber I would build, but IIRC the frame is the same no matter if it is 9mm, .40, or .45 so how could they?

I am just trying to decide if it is feasible and (Financially wise) to build a gun like some of the ones I can't buy in Mass...[wink].

As an example, could I get the frame of an Springfield XD through an FFL then order all the parts and build and register it in MA?? (That is not the particular make or model I am after, just an example). Honestly I am not after one complete firearm more of certain parts of different ones...

Just thinking...

Anyone have a link to the to the MGL about the frame not being a firearm?
Here's the link to MGL C140 S121 that defines what a firearm is. I believe that since a frame alone cannot discharge a bullet it is not considered a firearm. I've not yet found the MGL(s) that describes gun registration, what must be registered, and when.

Once it is built you will need to register it.

Although this seems like a way around, there are not many manufacturers who will sell you just a frame, and there are not many distributors who will sell those to MA, and there are not many dealers who will transfer a non-compliant frame to you anyways.

Back
Top Bottom