# of deer taken in several states in 2010. Amazing figures!

Hi all

I was reading through my hunter's guide from Connecticut when I came across a fact that the DEEP published regarding the number of deer taken here. Boy was I surprised.

Check out these figures:

Maine harvested just over 20,000 with thee bulk in Penobscot region.
Vermont harvested 15,250 or so.
Connecticut harvested over 12,000 (!)
Massachusetts harvested 10,699
New Hampshire only harvested 9500
Rhode Island had a small harvest of only about 2569.

I was just very very surprised that CT, a much more populated state than NH had had so many deer harvested as opposed to NH. Frankly, CT is still over run with them and if they offer second doe-tags as they have done in the past, that number would be evey higher.

Just thought I'd put that out there. I guess NH is more into Moose? Don't the white-tails like NH's terrain? At Connecticut hunters better shots? ([smile] Just curious.

Rome

You really cant look at it by state. Best to look at it per square mile. Maine is a huge state compared to CT. So in deer per square mile ct is a way better place to hunt if you can get land to hunt on. Deer dont necessarilly so well in large forested areas. They do better in edge cover and places that are warmer with less predators. Its no surprise that they adapt readily to neighborhoods where no one can hunt legally and there is an abundance of edge cover caused by subsivisions and lots of shrubs to eat.

There are way more deer in southern new england than there are in northern mountain areas. Deer per square mile approaches 40-50 near new york city. Yet try hunting northern maine where the deer per square mile is less than 5 and they have thousands of acres to hide.

Deer per square mile approaches 40-50 near new york city. Yet try hunting northern maine where the deer per square mile is less than 5 and they have thousands of acres to hide.

40-50 deer / square mile is a LOT of deer. In the midwest, where whitetail hunting is very popular, the population is around 20 / square mile and they take around 4 / square mile each year (these are state-wide numbers for Missouri where annual deer taken is about 3 times that for all of New England).

I think habitat would be a key factor with CT having more farmland and varied food sources.
NH with more large hardwoods where the deer have to work harder to thrive and maybe more snow?

Annual deer take in New York is usually over 200,000.....

Towns like Weston are taking the right steps but until private citizens embrace it and accept it they wont kill enough deer to make a dent. Plus hunting on town land might be great the first year but deer will learn to avoid town land the next years. Making the program very ineffiecient. They are taking baby steps when they need to do a hell of a lot more. Until the setback laws are changed to accomodate urban hunting whatever program you have is pretty worthless you need to be able to sit over the kids swingsets and right in the backyards to fully be effective.

Towns like Weston are taking the right steps but until private citizens embrace it and accept it they wont kill enough deer to make a dent. Plus hunting on town land might be great the first year but deer will learn to avoid town land the next years. Making the program very ineffiecient. They are taking baby steps when they need to do a hell of a lot more. Until the setback laws are changed to accomodate urban hunting whatever program you have is pretty worthless you need to be able to sit over the kids swingsets and right in the backyards to fully be effective.

Bowhunting will never reduce deer numbers, not even one iota. That is a proven fact. There just aren't enough bowhunters
and there never will be. Pissing into the wind, they are.

Last edited:
That isnt correct. The town i hunt in southern ct is small in land area and as the landowners have embraced the program and let hunters on ive seen the herd drastically reduced. The kill was about 20 deer 10 years ago. Now its up to 60 deer in this town per year. For certain we are making a dent. I see less deer now and many more hunters. Soon it wont be worth going down there any more but thats ok with me. In ten years my small group has taken over 100 deer just out of that town alone all with bow or crossbow. However it only works if you can get on the 2 acre properties without any distance restrictions. That is where mass programs will fail because of the setback and towns with restrictive weapons release laws. The sheeple of ma are also less likely to embrace hunting as well.

Last edited:
That isnt correct. The town i hunt in southern ct is small in land area and as the landowners have embraced the program and let hunters on ive seen the herd drastically reduced. The kill was about 20 deer 10 years ago. Now its up to 60 deer in this town per year. For certain we are making a dent. I see less deer now and many more hunters. Soon it wont be worth going down there any more but thats ok with me. In ten years my small group has taken over 100 deer just out of that town alone all with bow or crossbow. However it only works if you can get on the 2 acre properties without any distance restrictions. That is where mass programs will fail because of the setback and towns with restrictive weapons release laws. The sheeple of ma are also less likely to embrace hunting as well.

Bowhunting only? I would love to see the results on paper of that success. Even if you have that kind of local success the neighboring areas which, I assume are just as bad and don't
allow hunting ,are going to have a lot of emigration. They must have a continuous season, the deer limit must be unlimited, and the land owners are probably letting the hunters sleep
with their daughters as a perk to continuously hunt their property. Gut piles must be every hundred yards with 60 deer a year being taken out every season in a small land area. It's
has to be gun hunting as well. Bow hunters can't take enough deer unless the land owners are trapping them and tying them to trees for the hunters.

The town is bowhunting only. There may be a few spots you could gun hunt but doubtfull. The season is sept 15 to january 31. You can use crossbows in january in zone 11 in ct however the regular season you must have the doctor note.

You dont leave gut piles you have to take them out with you. Considering that the deer usually falls within sight of your truck its not a big deal.

Baiting is legal if you want to. I usually dont unless i need the deer in acertain spot for a safeshot.

The other towns down there have good programs too butsome are too restrictive. You have to let the hunters do what needs to be done and you will see results.

Does are unlimited. Bucks are 3 per year. I only shoot the big ones and sometimes eat a buck tag. Mr big still isnt that easy an is noctournal alot.

If you want to see it on paper go to the ct 2011 archery results its broken down by town. Look at most of the towns in fairfield cty. Sime of them yield over 100 deer bowkill per year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom