Obtaining FFL in CT

So I just moved into a house that is zoned as a commercial property. From what I understand Connecticut is one of the few states that will allow an FFL out of a house. Does anyone on here know what has to be done to apply or if it is even possible?

Thanks

The FFL (Federal Firearms License) is regulated by the federal government, not the state, through the BATFE. The FFL is a license that enables an individual or a company to engage in a business pertaining to the manufacture of firearms and ammunition or the interstate and intrastate sale of firearms.

So, therefore, it is completely possible for a person who holds a FFL to sell firearms from his own home if that is also his place of business. I believe that the only thing that would prohibit this would be a municipality's zoning regulations.

Being LE in CT, on occassion I have personally seen people with an FFL run a legitimate firearms business from their home. It's rare, but possible.

Snake eater is right.

I recently received my FFL based out of my home. Some states, MA in particular prohibit its subjects from possessing an FFL at their residence.

Depending on the size of your operation it may be very simple.

My nieghborhood is zoned residential. However the size and scope of my business falls well within the legal definition of a "Customary Home Occupation" Which is a standard that most town's zoning enforcement officers use to determine if a home business is ok.

It has to do with
1) number of comings and goings to the address
2) hazardous matereals
3) signage
4) number of employees.

I think you get the point.

The ATF will not give you an FFL unless you have a zoning permit from your town to operate the business out of your home. PERIOD.
They were very specific about it with me. I later found out that they actually went my town hall and pulled a copy of the permit, even though I provided one with my FFL application. They were very thorough. DO NOT try to finesse this point.

In my case, I came to a negotiated agreement with my Zoning Enforcement Officer that I would not have more than 2 face to face transactions in my home per month.

The thing is that a small time "kitchen table" FFL is well within the spirit and letter of the zoning laws in most towns, with their Customary Home Occupation language.

Considering the fact that your zoned commercial, you have a leg up on most people.

Finally, go to www.ffl123.com and pay the guy his $40 for his help. It is WELL WORTH IT. He removes all the mystery from the process.

If you want to discuss please don't hesitate to PM me your email and/or phone number. I'd be happy to help in any way.

In a nut shell though, it all comes down to getting local zoning approval.

Don

p.s. The limitation is not a problem for me. Most of my sales come from my students and word of mouth as well as internet sales. The face to face sales typically are done at the range or somewhere I'm giving instruction.

p.p.s. The biggest issue is actually getting a wholesale account with one of the major distributors with a home based business. Many do not want to do business with "kitchen table" type dealer. They prefer to work with stocking dealers. In contrast, small manufacturers have been very happy to set me up as a direct dealer. This has been great. Examples include Wilson combat, nighthawk custom, les baer custom, CMMG (Best .22 AR on the market because its actually built out of ar parts), Spikes, STI, Dawson Precision.

Last edited:
I just got an account set up with Davidsons.

So I am now an official gun dealer, with multiple wholesale suppliers.

If anyone from CT wants to discuss getting a home based FFL, shoot me a PM and we'll set up some time to talk.

Don

p.s. Dealing with the ATF was about the easiest part of the process.

**11/17 update** - I've now got an account with terms at RSR Group. Between them and Davidsons, I've got all the supply I could want. RSR carries much mre in the way of accessories, and ammo. Davidsons is nice because they provide a lifetime service policy for every gun that is sourced through them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom