OAL deviation

What would you consider the max OAL deviation to be? This is pistol and rifle. I find I am pretty picky about .001-.002" or am I being way too picky. It takes pretty constant adjustment to stay in there.

With production dies and bullets, +/- 0.005" is probably more reasonable but it depends a lot on how well the shape of the bullet matches the seating stem. In a given lot or box of jacketed bullets you will probably do better, but lot to lot variations of the bullets will force you to adjust the seating depth. In handgun loading, small variations of seating depth will go unnoticed. When you are loading for a truly accurate rifle, small variations in seating depth and the resultant variations in the distance from the bullet ogive to the start of the rifling might make a big difference downrange. This all presumes that you have worked up a load while taking the distance to the rifling as a factor.
The only milsurp rifle that seems to be picky about seating depth is the Swiss K31.
It is good to be aware of all of the variables that can affect accuracy.

Why'd I know Jack would have an answer for me? So I guess that 1-2 thousandths is probably fine enough, unless I'm shooting BR or something ultra accurate.

Back
Top Bottom